Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing a LINED fretless.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by yoshi, Sep 26, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi all.

I'm going to check out a used fretless tomorow. Its fretboard is lined out, and my question is, stupid as it may seem, when fretting a note do I suppress the string on the fret line or in the 'middle[/]' of the fret space, like you would with a fretted instrument?

Thanks!

PS- I had a quick search on here+technique but couldnt word my search properly to get a response.

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Generally, on the line... but that does assume the lines are in the standard places and that the intonation is correctly set up.

Wulf

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Take a chromatic tuner and see where it's 'in'.

4. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Thanks, I was actually thinking of doing that after reading posts on here about practicing fretless some time back.

5. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I agree w/ wulf & CS.
    It will take some gettin used to.
    Frtls is a rad bass have fun!
    The intonation is the most important thing on a frtls, if you dont have a good set up you'll sound like doo.
    Have fun!
    mmMMMMmmmwwwwWWWWAAaaaa (frtls sound):bassist:

6. ;) Were you afraid he might have thought that you were blowing him a kiss with that ""mmMMMMmmmwwwwWWWWAAaaaa"?

7. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I don't know about him, but I certainly was afraid:eek:

;)

I know what you mean by the 'mwwaa' noise though; years of supernintendo sound tracks have scorhced it into my my mind.

I'm pretty 'excited' now, had the meet-up organised since sunday:bassist:

8. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    :D
    sorry to let you down guys, but kisses are out of the question!:oops:

9. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN

Thats to funny hahaha:eek: :eek: :) :)

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I agree that you should use a tuner to find where the exact note/finger placement is, but I've found it's better to fret with the center of my finger just behind the line. The last edge of your finger that's holding the string down is the breaking point of the string, which decides which note occurs. My fingers (as most do) flatten out when pressed down, so I go just behind the line so the right edge of my fingers are on the line. Setup can change the results greatly.