1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Playing a live show -- Need amplification

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by dwagner, Mar 15, 2013.

1. August 30th is my first huge gig, and right now I am ampless.

I have a budget of 300 USD.

Just a side note, the venue has a completely EPIC Bose sound system with great bass response I've heard from playing an iPod through it.

Could I get by with a bass DI?

Thanks!

2. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Of course you can get by with it. Whether you will like the result or not is another question.

3. You've got till August? Go out and earn some money, mow lawns, wait tables, clean gutters, rake leaves, or whatever you have to do. A second job for a short period of time won't hurt anyone. Surely you could make enough to buy a decent rig and then you'd have it for future gigs. Or to drive the neighbors crazy, LOL!

4. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    You really won't need an amp for that gig, but you can get a head with a DI for later so you don't need a DI and an amp at a later point. Just to give a perspective on real watts needed... I have a Rumble 350 Combo. With the stock drivers, I would play at 5 at practice with everyone else through the monitors. I put in Eminence Basslite S2010s and played at 2 last night. I will be playing through the PA at our next show and the combo will just be for the back line, but probably will mostly hear myself through the monitors.

5. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    BTW I wouldn't necesarrily recommend a Rumble, because the XLR out is tied to the volume. Other heads keep it the same or have a separate control for it.

6. Maybe I am missing something here........

How does one get to the point of being in a band and getting a big gig without having some sort of amplification ?

What have you been using to practice with the band ?

7. Alright.
    So a head and a DI will temporarily work?

I mean, this PA is....EPIC.

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
  9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Not everybody's wealthy.

Some of us have bills to pay.

That Rumble 60 has been my only rig for the past three or four years, and I have played countless shows. It looks pretty funny sitting on a chair next to my wife's rig with two 15's.

[​IMG]

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Man-o-day...add ~$200 and you can purchase a really nice gig-worthy used rig. OTOH, I see you live in North Dakota so availability may vary. How close are you to civilization as we know it? Not being a wiseguy...a buddy of mine is from Kulm, ND. There were 8 students in his graduating class.

Riis

11. Right between Fargo and Bismark, more or less.