1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing a march

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Tonysuarezbass, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Hi everyome, I'm the go to bass player at my high school, and I was recently asked to play with the Navy Band. The piece we are playing is a march, and the piece does not mark to play Arco or pizz. Any help as to what I should do? The show is Sunday and I want to be spot on with my technique.

2. gnypp45

gnypp45

Apr 21, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Arco is the default mode in notated music. And it makes sense musically.

salcott likes this.
  3. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    Most likely, you'll be doubling what the tubas will be playing. Arco will make for a louder, more sustained note. Think of it as an opportunity to practice using the whole bow for a quarter note.

4. korndogg524

korndogg524

Jul 16, 2016
    Don't know if you still want this information or not, but typically it is arco unless stated, if it never is stated to change then use your discretion based on the musicality of the piece. Typically the quieter Trio section of a march will be pizz but not always. I personally hate how boring the parts to marches are, but sometimes you gotta play them to pay the bills!

5. Anton Avis

Anton Avis

Dec 13, 2016
    I know it's after the concert but i'd say you should use staccato bowing for that is often what marches want. I was playing Holst recently and there was no plucking just bowing so that is what i would do