1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Playing at a fair?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by maxrathburn, Aug 17, 2012.

1. I am 14, going into high school in 2 weeks and have been playing for 3 years. Right now I am dying to play a small gig or just play with a friend or sub in for a band. our county fair is going on, and it has several live local bands playing, even a little band of kids like 12 years old. At this point, I would like to be able to do something like playing at the fair. Any ideas of how you could sign up to play? it's too late this year, but I would love to play at the fair next year. I'll tell if I run into any bands or gigs.

2. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
    The first thing to do would be to either join an existing band, or form a new one. Then, practice, play, rehearse, put together a set list, and get tight as a group. Maybe try and get some gigs under your belt, and get some good quality recordings up online.

In the spring, look up the festival and see if you can find an official website or facebook. Many bigger events start looking for bands months beforehand. If not, keep checking back until they start looking for bands.

Once they start to look for entertainment, there will usually be an application you'll have to fill out online, followed by a meeting if you are selected on the basis of your application. After that, it all depends on how organized and prepared your band is.

Of course, it couldn't hurt to chat with some people who are playing there this year, and ask them what they had to do.

Good luck!

3. Thanks for the input!

4. Dantreige

Dantreige

Oct 22, 2009
    Wisconsin
    This is the best advice, right here. Get to know the locals and learn from them. Often, you will be able to find someone to take you under their wing and show you the ropes. Just be sure that you double check the info that you are being fed.

Good luck!

5. The band I wanted to listen to's bassist is actually a friend and works with my dad, what do you know. I'll probably get a chance to talk to him.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Google the fair and see if they have an on-line signup. Some do. If not contact them ask as for the talent manager.

7. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    We played the clark county fair this year. We had to sign up in december then go through so the review process. They let us know in late february that we made the cut. It was a fun show we didnt get paid but got exposure to probably 1000 or so people.