Playing Bass and Fiddle?

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by musicgirl952, Oct 18, 2011.

1. musicgirl952

musicgirl952

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm a fiddler that picked up a bass last weekend. What can I say: that thing is awesome! So now I want one (what a surprise, huh). My one concern is this little blister on my index finger on my bow hand... sure it's little now, but what about if I actually start playing bass? I mean, I'm also a classical violinist, and I'm planning to go to college for music. I really want to learn bass, but is there any way that this could affect my violin/fiddle playing?

Opinions please! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play the air bass...

2. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Hasn't bothered my son. He plays violin/fiddle (Classical, Pre-War Americana, Country Blues, Southern Appalachian) and double bass/electric bass (Jazz, Rock). I do remember a few blisters on his fingers (right hand, from the bass - pizzacato) in the beginning, but they are long gone. There was no ill-effect with his violin bowing. And, his musicality has been greatly enhanced.

Just play for a few weeks and see. :bassist:

3. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    You'll get those until you build up proper callouses and then it shouldn't interfere with your fiddling.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021