Playing Bass and Fiddle?

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by musicgirl952, Oct 18, 2011.

1. musicgirl952

musicgirl952

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm a fiddler that picked up a bass last weekend. What can I say: that thing is awesome! So now I want one (what a surprise, huh). My one concern is this little blister on my index finger on my bow hand... sure it's little now, but what about if I actually start playing bass? I mean, I'm also a classical violinist, and I'm planning to go to college for music. I really want to learn bass, but is there any way that this could affect my violin/fiddle playing?

Opinions please! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play the air bass...

2. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Hasn't bothered my son. He plays violin/fiddle (Classical, Pre-War Americana, Country Blues, Southern Appalachian) and double bass/electric bass (Jazz, Rock). I do remember a few blisters on his fingers (right hand, from the bass - pizzacato) in the beginning, but they are long gone. There was no ill-effect with his violin bowing. And, his musicality has been greatly enhanced.

Just play for a few weeks and see. :bassist:

3. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    You'll get those until you build up proper callouses and then it shouldn't interfere with your fiddling.