1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing Bass/Rhythm guitar simultaneously?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by CFH7, Nov 24, 2010.

1. CFH7

CFH7

Nov 24, 2010
    I am a part of four-piece metalcore group, but since our rhythm guitarist quit, after six months we have yet to find one.

I (bassist) have come up with a radical solution to this problem (depicted), seeing as all our rhythm guitarist ever has is power chords and chugging, ect.

I have both the amps and bass, but I have yet to acquire the EQ, octaver, and harmonizer. And my question is:

Will this even work?

[​IMG]

2. Cree

Cree

May 24, 2004
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Well, is this setup going to limit your bass lines to power chords and chugging?

Check out some bands that have done something similar and see if you like it. The guy from Local H does the reverse of what you are talking about. Just guitar and drums in the band. I believe that "Bound for the Floor" is the name of the single that came out several years ago. Also, The Presidents of the United States of America, did something similar. One of the guys plays a bassitar and the other plays a guitbass. Neither one of these bands are the kind of music you are playing, but I am sure there are many articles available on the internet about their setups.

Other than that, enjoy the glory and freedom of playing without a second guitar player.

3. Rhythm guitar in a metal band is going to have a hard time being heard, or at least that is my experience. I'd just try it with out the rhythm guitar and see if it works.