Playing EUB with fingernails for Classical Guitar

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by orchman, Jul 21, 2005.

1. orchman

Jun 28, 2005
    Coon Rapids, MN
    Hello forum,
    I have a question about the above. I am an acceptable jazz bassist; upright, EUB and fretless bass guitar. I am a hack classical guitarist but dearly love to play. If I allow my fingernails to grow long enough to use with CG, they are too long to play the bass pizzicato with, which is 99.99% of my bass playing. (I also play upright in a community orchestra with a bow)

I there any acceptable way to artificially enhance the nails aka fingerpicks or something of the sort that could be removed when I want to play bass? I would like to have more tone production possibilities than just my bare fingers, if possible.

I have asked this question in a CG forum and wondering/hoping to find some enlightment here maybe.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve Borgstrom
    Orchestra Director/Beginning guitar instructor
    Osseo Area Schools
    Minnesota, USA
  2. depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    I have a similar problem with nylon guitar. I don't play classical music but Brazilian songs (Bossa Nova, Samba and stuff). But I can get my fingernails long enough to play both instruments.
    Why don't you try to use those ceramic artificial fingernails just to practice and remove them to play bass?
  3. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Ani Difranco uses fake nails and a bit of electrical tape, and she gets a real cool guitar tone from this.

Sometimes I use the backs of my nails [although I do keep them short] for flamingo like backslapping & rolls [I don't know the technical term] for rhythmic accents on DB & EUB, sometimes on the strings and sometimes on the side of the finger board.