1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing in bridge positions with a pick

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Zakmusic, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Zakmusic

Zakmusic

Aug 1, 2010
    I liked the tone when I play near the bridge with a pick. This position seems ok if I play simple bass lines while muting with the fretting hand. But when i play some intricate stuff it seems muting only with the left hand is not enough. The picking hand can't really mute as the palm has gone past the bridge already.

For pick players. I was wondering if picking at bridge position is mainly for simple lines? You guys can play complex stuff just by muting with the left hand? Or do i have to trade off by moving more towards neck so the palm can help out to mute? Thx guys

2. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    You can do some "non bridge" palm muting with your picking hand. It requires a light technique in order to keep it from giving you totally muted notes. Just don't push down with the palm of your hand. Just set it there lightly. Being able to mix non muted, lightly muted, and heavily muted sounds can offer a lot of dynamics to your playing.

Give it a try and see what you think.