Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

playing mp3s through bass rig?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MacheteJames, Aug 3, 2004.

1. OK heres the situation... I just got an Acme B4, and I want to play my Mp3s through it. I've got a Sansamp BDDI, and I tried hooking up the Sansamp's input jack to the line out of the soundcard with an adapter. I plugged the Sansamp's output into my rack setup, a BBE BMax and a QSC power amp. I can get the Mp3s to play, but the volume is really, really low, and it sounds like I'm playing it through a clock radio instead of an 1800 watt bass rig. Turning up the gain and volume does not help. What gives? One thing I did notice is that the Sansamp circuitry would not engage (the red light will not come on) with the line out from the computer plugged in to its input.. if I plug a regular instrument cable into it, it comes on no problem. What am I doing wrong here?

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Leave out the samsamp. I run my MP3's straight into the amp. I do the same with CD and mini disk players. The signal is uaually hot enough that a preamp isn't necessary.

3. is the line out jack from the soundcard stereo?
    if so the sansamp probably isn't switching on because it needs a mono jack to bridge the middle and ground in its input socket.

you could try using a stereo-to-mono adapter.

4. You guys rule.. I plugged a line out from my soundcard straight in to the active input (the signal was actually pretty hot), and it worked great... it sounds amazing, too...