1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing our first huge show outdoors at the Flyers game!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by roccobladr, Apr 19, 2010.

1. roccobladr

roccobladr

Aug 17, 2009
    My band is playing probably our biggest show to date tomorrow. We got a gig to play at the Flyers/Devils game at the Wachovia center tomorrow afternoon. We are gonna be playing in the lot outside while they have other festivities and stuff. Should be great weather and everything.

I was just wandering for those that have experience playing outdoors/big events/etc what can I do to:
    -help the performance
    -be prepared for anything that can happen
    -crowd interaction? (i assume its going to be alot different than dealing with people at a bar)

2. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    Congrats! Awesome gig.

For the performance, don't spread out too far, make sure you can hear yourselves, since you may not have the best soundcheck opportunities. I've seen too many bands get on a bigger stage and spread out too far so they can't hear each other and their performance suffers as a result. Remember, the fans are there for the hockey game, not for you, you're background music, BUT, if you kick some butt and sound good, and your band name is on a banner, you may get some new fans. It won't hurt to have a few friends near the stage handing out business cards for those who may be interested, as long as they're not too pushy.

And... don't be afraid to get the cheap crowd rapport by wearing a LOT of Flyers schwag or throw in the occasional Flyers cheer between tunes. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

3. roccobladr

roccobladr

Aug 17, 2009
    Thanks man! We all got some flyers gear ready: jerseys, shirts, hats,etc. im gonna cut myself a mohawk and get get some orange hair stuff for it haha.

we already have a nice big banner and some blow up crocodiles that we bring to every show. we even have a crocodile suit that we have had people dress up in. (our name is Crocodile What?) haha.

we actually do get a sound check which will be nice, but i never thought of the distance thing before so i will definately keep that in mind. I cant wait to see my little Markbass combo being pumped out through their sound system.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    You'll probably be able to hear yourselves okay if the monitors are good.

Another reason not to spread out too far is so that you can see all the facial cues and other body language that goes on among the band members.

It always helps to setup at a distance that you're comfortable with. You might think about how big the stages are that you've been playing on and setup up around the same distance. I suggest you find out how big the stage is and possibly, you might needs some longer chords if there's more area to move around.

Don't forget to bring extra chords and such. Here's a thread about that: What's in your gig bag?

Depending on how long your sets are, you may want to have a water bottle and small towel handy.

Here are a few other links you may want to check out:
    Getting your sound "live"
    Designing/Managing your sets
    Managing sound on stage
    Controlling your stage volume
    Directing the band: on stage-hand signals

5. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    That's an if, particularly if you haven't worked with the sound company before. Why leave things to chance for a big exposure gig? If the monitors are good it's a bonus, but I think we've all had to deal with the bad monitor issues at some point :)

All of the above is EXCELLENT advice from Stumbo, particularly the links he included. Good luck, and go FLYERS! (IF it ends up a Wings/Flyers final and you play outside I'll definitely be there)

6. roysloco

roysloco

Sep 19, 2008
    Glasgow
    Took me a song or two to get used to not having a 'room' in front of me the first few times I played outside (luckily for me the rest of band were old hats at this sort of thing!).
    Don't get too distracted by what's going on out there - in a bar/indoor gig you can usually only see a certain distance into the crowd, and they're most likely to be the ones truly into it. Outside you can see forever - some people miles away will be totally digging it and some will be buying hot dogs.