Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Playing Technique for a Beginner?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by GreenStripe518, Feb 8, 2004.

1. I should be getting my first bass in, hopefully, a few months. (even though I'm still not sure what kind to get,heh) but anyways, How should I begin to play? My band teacher(she also plays bass) said that I should get a Three Quarter bass,and I should begin with a 'red book' and just learn the notes. But I have a question: Which technique should I start out with? 'Cause I've heard of plucking, slaping?, plunking?, and like a bunch of terms (I probably have some of those messed up..heh..sorry, I'm still learing) What do you suggest?
    Thank You!

2. Well, let me be the first to welcome you to the world of bass guitar. I would suggest a Fender or Squire Precision bass, depending on your budget. These are both good basses, used by beginners and pros alike. You should start with a pick, or with finger technique, the book you learn from will tell you this. You'll learn slapping, popping, and thumping later on, if you want. Good Luck.

3. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    If you can handle a full size bass, then go for it. It's better to learn on the real thing as you'll have more options in the future.

4. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I'd begin with fingerstyle ("plucking"). Let the slap and pop come a little later. It's best to learn proper right-hand technique first.

5. I would strongly advise you to get a full size bass, and devote your time to learning regular fingerstyle technique using alternating indx and middle fingers.

6. Yup, get the full-size; your practice dictates the way you'll play. And I can second the Squire P-bass as a good beginner bass.

7. ive been playing for a couple years and i still dont have a proper right hand technique! lol :smug:

are you going to be playing for your jazz band at school? if so then youll want to get some thing capable of giving you a wide variety of sounds, especially if you are going to be playing any kind of bassie blues style jazz, to give you an upright bass sound, but also be able to get some punch and growl, in case your band teacher decides to get funky! although i love my fender p-bass, you may want to consider ibanez soundgear basses. for the price, they have a pretty wide spectrum of sounds, because the have p and j style pickups. also( if you are playing for the band that is) you may like to play other kinds of music outside of school too.

8. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I would say to learn alternating finger style playing first. Leave the fancy stuff (slap & pop, tapping, etc.) until you've got the basics under your fingers.

Also, check my sig. I have a Squier (my first bass) for sale at a price that could get a bass in your hands sooner than in a few months. :)

9. ya, like all the others have said, start with the fingure pluking, and in the first few months use ur first two fingures (index and middle) and then i would move to the ring and the pinky.

anyways if this is ur first instrument, to learn the names of the notes and where they are, say the note names out loud as u play them; u'll learn them faster that way