1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Playing the school circut???

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Drop-the-One, Oct 9, 2010.

1. I know about a few bands who've done this. Added as many gigs at schools to their touring as possible! The Veer Union apparently did the entirety of the US playing during lunch hours @ schools... and a band called Chucky Danger Band did afternoon assemblies, so it was mandatory the kids showed up.

But from what I heard, Chucky Danger was a freakin' hit at my old highschool.

Has ANYbody done this sort of thing? How do you go about doing it? Any info is appreciated, I can't find anything online about this

2. bahaha, nobody?

3. I did this for the first few years I gigged... was fantastic experience.. tons of work.. pay was low, but had crowds.

We were pro managed, so didn't have to address anything except the roadie end playing work.

4. oh yea, so the manager booked all the schools for you? What did you do, lunches? evening dances? any other tips LOL

5. We did day time shows with a positive message component - then had an evening show.

=====

Note -- it's NOT an easy band to put together because you need to find cool attractive folks who can have the right cool personality and stay a mile away from trouble, drinking, drugs and the girls.

6. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Central Florida
    MN, my drummer was in a similar band on the east coast for 3 years ... they had an 8 state radius, on salary, play daytime warmup spots sometimes 3-4 a day and then an evening gig...he said it was different.

7. Depending on the era, I could know your drummer..

Yes different gig.. kind of like going into the army (tons and tons of rules)... my army pals said we had tighter controls on us.

8. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    One of my bands' singers are in their last year of high school, so we've been asked to play a few songs at their school festivals. Those are very appreciative crowds indeed!

9. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    We were asked one time if we could play for a school assembly since we perform music that covers 6 decades and they wanted us to cover the history of rock and roll from the beginnings to today. We are a very family friendly band and would have been perfect for the show. The pay would have been great, a short show, and 5 minutes from my house. The reason we could not do it was that my 2 other bandmates worked during the day and could not get off the same day to do the show. I thought it would have been a great way to get gigs, make money, and teach the kids.

10. richland.. and have great band pix

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021