1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please compare some 1x12's if you can

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by allexcosta, May 17, 2011.

1. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I've been a bit curious about this and some folks might be willing to help.

I know the older HT112 very well and this should be the reference speaker.

I've tried the HT112ER a few times and really liked it.

Question:

How would compare these to the original HT112?

- HT112ER
    - fEARful 12/6
    - fEARful 12/6/1
    - Audiokinesis Thunderchild 12
    - Any other high end 1x12 that you have experience with.

Feel free to post tech data, graphs or simply describe your impressions objectively or subjectively.

This should be interesting.

Thanks.

2. Jeffrey Wash

Jeffrey Wash Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Santa Cruz
    I have a pair of HT112ERs. I also have an Aguilar GS112 and a Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 2x12, Aguilar 2x10.

The Bergs are my favorites by far. The Mesa and the Aguilar are very full range, very good sounding cabs, but like so many modern bass cabs the high end can get harsh and I am always dialing back the tweeters.

The Bergs have a more pleasant high end - clear and present yet not harsh - and lots of punch, individually or paired. I am more 'comfortable' playing through the Bergs than any of my other cabs.

That's my subjective experience anyway, for what it's worth...

3. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    subbed

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I think I've tried just about every 112 out there. A few notes IMHO:

Bergs-I never heard what all the fuss is about.
    EA Wizzy 12-amazing cabs. No horn. Coax driver(s)-very old school, pleasing and 30 lbs.
    Mesa Scout -the lowest tuned factory 12 I've played. Gorgeous construction. Great tone but heavy and expensive for what it does.
    Epi UL112-excellent cabs but a bit mid-scooped (matter of taste)
    Aggie GS-dark sounding (never heard the DB series)
    GK neo-2 - amazing deal at 350 shipped. 30 lbs. 95% of the performance of the btq boxes at a Wallmart price. Big down low but not very scooped. A miracle at this price IMO.
    Audiokinesis (my current King of the Hill)-has the mid punch of the EA, goes as low as the Mesa if you remove the port plugs, under 35 lbs, almost twice as loud as the others, expensive with a wait...but worth it for me.
    Have not tried a fEarful 12/6 but an LDS nEarful 15/6 under Mesa M9 is my out rig. Bliss.

5. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    Acme's series 3 112 is the only 12 that goes down to 31cycles that I know of check out there website....!:bassist:

6. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Nice post Lomo. My comparison of my Thunderchild and nEarful 12/6 put them extremely close in tone and power with the slight edge to the 12/6 on fullness down low. My overall preference is the Thunderchild given its overall 12/6 output in a smaller form factor.