Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please critique me playing Bach #4

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Dave Speranza, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Dave Speranza

Dave Speranza Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I am auditioning for an orchestra trip at my school and will be playing Bouree I from the fourth suite in Eb major. I thought this take was OK, although I am liking it less and less each time i hear it. Anyways, please have a listen, and then let me have it.

http://home.comcast.net/~davesperanza/Take_6_-_12-29-05.mp3

Thanks

2. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    Dave, nice playing. I was following the score while you played it, your tempo/timing and intonation was all excellent. Sounds like you might need a bit more rosin on the bow. The notes come through very clear. The only suggestion is to perhaps add in some dynamics yourself. While listening to the piece I can hear parts where you can make it sound more like a piece versus an etude. You have a nice tone, but dont shy away from putting a touch of vibrato in some places. Bach doesn't necessarily mean no vibrato, and afterall it's a solo. Also careful with the intonation on the last two bars. Especially the last chord, it was out of tune. Otherwise great playing, very technically acurate :). You might get a kick out of the Bernat version an octave higher.

3. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    +1 On that last bit thing. There's some scratchy sound and I guess that's why Snakewood suggested more rosin. I'd also like to hear each note clearly, It gets kind of "blurry" at times. I'm aware it's not easy with all those notes in there. Just my opinion. I really like your playing. I wish I could play half as good :(
    Well... gotta get back to practicing

4. Machina

Machina

Aug 1, 2005
    The playing is very nice, but now you need to add emotion. If you have time check out Gary Karr or even a cellist playing these suites. (It's on Gary Karr's new cd that just came out.) As mentioned about, it sounds too much like an etude, and that's not what you want for the cello suite solos. Otherwise, very nice work. Keep it up!

5. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Very nice. This is one of my favorites. I wouldn't mind hearing more bite at the beginning of the notes. That would give it more of a dance-like quality.

6. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    +1 on that too... It's a really "bouncy" piece :D

7. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I don't give a flip what anyone else says, Bach is the hardest thing to play on bass. Nuff said. To get into the style of the piece is very, very difficult. However, it is something that you need to do. Some vibrato will help to accent the notes a bit. Be sure to back off once you hit the initial beat. Dynamics, Dynamics, and you guessed it, Dynamics. Playing with different volumes will help you make the piece sound less like an etude. Spending some quality time with a tuner would help. Not to say the intonation is bad, but it is a solo piece, so you are obviously going to be more exposed than you would be with an orchestra or a piano. Overall, sounds not to shabby. Main thing though is to picture yourself dancing too it, work on your dynamics and bow speed. Once you get those three things down, you should be in excellent shape.

Good Luck,
    Peter

8. Dave Speranza

Dave Speranza Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thank you for the comments everyone. Everyone has some good advice in here, and I will keep working at it.

9. The notes could be more secco. There is always that big fight with Baroque music on whether or not to use vibrato. I believe unless it's some of Bach's more lyrical stuff than leave the vibrato out. Also, I felt that you could work on phrasing a little more, perhaps making the phrases longer (but not too long). Overall good job though. After playing the magnificat this year I realized Bach can be a little bit of a bear, but with practice it's not too bad :).

10. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Not a doubler here, but i really enjoyed the clip, thanks for sharing it... Peace

11. I'd try to make the whole thing a little less stodgy by using more bow and less pressure. Coincidentally, this may also get rid of some of the scratch. I get kind of an "oompah" feeling to the whole thing (if that makes much sense). Also, be careful not to rush after and during your upward moving slurred figures as some of them were a little irregular. Also, try to make the lines a little longer. It seems like you're focusing on each little chunk rather than tying them together. Keep on working and I think you'll be happy with the results!

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Tempo for me was the trickiest part of this performance... This is generally played much faster although Bach did not indicate any tempi for the suites... I think some study of the type of dance that you are playing is in order before you start learning it in order to give some context... Overall I thought it was a good rendition. I would like to hear a bit more spicatto in your playing and also the bow should be dancing a bit more...these are dance tunes after all... I agree that the lyrical passages deserve vibrato, but of course playing a thousand notes a second doesn't leave one much opportunity for vibrati... Intoantion was a small issue in some areas . I think it is also important to give some emhpasis to the terminal cadences... also remeber terreced dynamics were par for the course in the Baroque era.

Overall, i liked it, it is one of my favorite suites. work on tempo (listen to lynne harrel play it), intonation, and a lighter touch with the stick.

Are you using Hal Robinson's edition ?

Keep up the good work !

One other thing: with the suites think if them in terms of Linear Counterpoint and that will help you understand and play them with more conviction