Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please help me decide!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FumandoV, Mar 8, 2006.

1. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    Now with my problem...
    I just bought a SWR 550x which sounds good. I always loved that twangy hifi sound, but once I gigged and pushed it hard the bottom end spooked away. Using a Son of bertha 8ohm. Think it's lack of power, now thinking of buying a SM-900 for $700. From the reviews I've seen the 900 ain't all that. Also thinking about ampeg's svt4 pro. All you Pros out there .........Enlighten me please!!!:crying:

2. Have you considered adding another 8ohm cab instead, so you can draw all the power from your amp?

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    You are *not* going to get a hi-fi sound from an SVT-4 PRO, and I'm not sure Ampeg makes anything that sounds hi-fi. If you live close to a music store like GC, why not take your head in and try a bunch of different cabs with it, and try some other head/cab combinations while you're there.

Skel

4. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    I'll try thxs.

5. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    I have a SWR WorkingMan's 8004 which sounds to me better than the new generations. It sounds hifi but still has the bottom punch. Maybe it's the headroom?!?