1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please help me identify...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bassmandan81, Mar 30, 2015.

1. this bass! No label or visible markings inside. Came from an auction of school band and orchestra instruments in Baltimore. A Baltimore area bluegrasser nabbed it and is having me reset the neck and do a setup. The repairs are adding up, and we're wondering if it's worth it. Early results show a nice voice woth plenty of volume. Any ideas??
    image. image. image.

2. German shop bass probably. If the machines are correct and original it's circa 1900. Might be worth $8k. If it's as good as mine, it's worth saving.

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Nice portrait of Bill Monroe, Dan!

bassmandan81 and KUNGfuSHERIFF like this.
  4. Hey Shawn- do you recognize these machines? They definitely appear to be original, as they fit the outline of the scroll perfectly. They definitely look old, but really 1900?!

5. The late Jerry Buffa of Lemur used to say that a once-piece forged tuning key was a mark for a pre-20th century bass. These look like forged keys with brass veneers. I was also guessing around turn of the century, fwiw.

Eric Hochberg likes this.
  6. Dan,

I've had a few people look at my bass, and the consensus seems to be that my machines are not original to the bass (they've been cut) but they are of a type commonly used in Saxony around the turn of the last Century. The machines on your client's bass are of a similar style, but not an exact match. I'm throwing spaghetti, basically. :p

7. That's a Germanic thing. I've seen it before.