1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please help! Pickup noob

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tipness25, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Tipness25

Tipness25

Nov 7, 2018
    I literally know almost next to nothing about what goes on inside an electric bass. I just play them. That being said, I recently came into possession of a sweet looking 5 string bass (albeit a Chinese made one). It actually plays nicely and is super sexy, however they used obviously cheap electronics on it and I'm looking to replace all of that over time. The 1st thing I want to replace are the pickups. It is an active bass, and it is using an EMG 45 clone with 1 visible screw on each end. I would love to just get a pair of pickups that I could literally just drop in its place but not sure of anything I'm doing. The current pickups are 4.5in x 1.5in.

I like the modern, sort of 'scooped' sound, similar to most Bartolinis I've heard. Are there any lesser known brands that could give me that sound? Also, the Barts I've found that same size have 1 screw on one end but then 2 screws on the other end.

Please help with any and all info. Buying used would also actually be preferred as I'm not looking to spend a ton of money.

I've attached a picture, hopefully it works.

Attached Files:

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Welcome to Talkbass.
    Go ahead and get the Bartilonni pickups if that's what you like. Putting a new couple holes in the routs is no big deal. Your biggest problem is the Bart's are passive and it appears the EMGs are active. That being the case, you need to gather all your parts, as you can, and switch them all at once. The existing pots in your bass should be 25K pots. That won't work so well with passive pickups, they need to be 250 or 500 K pots, 3 three of them. That is goin to leave as extra hole in the body. Wha' cha' gonna do 'bout that Willis? Maybe a two or three band EQ? Stacked vols (or stacked vol/blend), plus bass, mid, and treble knobs?

3. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    Hey tip,

Completely agree with sissy,

Just thought I'd add that if you lurk around the classifieds section you should come across what you're after used. Keep an eye out for a pre wired preanp that will fit your 4 holes for the least amount of work/headaches.