Please help.. someone .. need some experienced opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guitar<bass, Mar 7, 2006.

1. guitar<bass

Oct 25, 2005
    Hello.. this is one of those "im to cheap to buy good stuff" if your offended..sorry
    but i do NOT have the money for a new bass combo over 60-80 watts..and i would ike to have a bit more than that for certain reasons :bassist:
    im looking very seriously into buying a crate powerblock because they claim it has a 5 year warranty even if used as a bass head..and that is a great guarantee...even transferrable!..i really want one... but i dont have a cab yet...i know how to build cabinets ..and even make them look good if for some reason that ever mattered to me... however.. ive noticed some monitors on ebay rated at like 300 + watts peak..and im curious..coud i not just hook up the powerblock to a monitor? would sound good for my very loud practices i have planned, right (big basement).. i mean.. it would be clean enough..i just dont see how it wouldnt work..if someone could elaborate as to why ive never heard of this being done before..thank you so much!

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I'm sure no one is offended; we've all been there (financially) at one time or another. And it might help if you point out exactly which "monitors" you're looking at.... but my first thought is, that's probably not going to give you the results you're looking for.

Yeah, it'll work (in the sense that it'll make sound you can hear).... but that Crate is a guitar amp head (I assume that's the PowerBlock you're referring to), with an EQ section designed around guitar frequencies, probably a good amount of "crunch" which can be dialed in, perhaps even some guitar-tailored filters. In essence, not a bass amp.

Speakers (monitors) may be even more problematic. Bass cabs are designed for a specific purpose, and a specific response..... it almost sounds like you're cobbling together a sort of makeshift guitar amp, or a guitar head into vocal monitors, and want to try using it for bass.

And if you're short on funds... it seems the last thing you'd want to do is plunk down the bucks you can pull together, then be disappointed in the result. Used bass gear might be a better choice; I once bought a used 6x10 for $100. Some amazing deals can be had out there, if you look hard enough.

It's possible I'm misunderstanding you, though. More info on those "monitors" you mentioned might be helpful.
  3. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I'd say bigbeefdog is right on. When you're on a low budget, you still want to get something that will work well toward your needs, if not then even a small outlay of cash is basically throwing it away, and you really can't afford to do that.

I'm glad I'm way past that stage, but if you let folks know your budget and your needs (you've already pretty much done the latter in your post here), the folks here will likely give a bunch of options.

If you find a great deal on something non-bass that you want to use for bass, odds are it's a bad idea if it was meant for guitar or vocals, but keyboard gear can work okay.
  4. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    That 'peak' part is a good sign of cheap junk. Look for a used Peavey 1x15 cab or build yourself something with a decent 15" speaker. 150w is not that much for a loud practice anymore.
  5. guitar<bass

Oct 25, 2005

Thats pretty much what i had figured on hearing..but thats what i wanted tho. an opinion.
    I had slowly decided against the whole setup anyway.. ive seen a few berringer heads go for incredibly cheap deals.. musicians friend was practically giving away i think like a 300 or so for a very good price a few months ill just gimme one of those and an eminence 15 and build me a cab..i can get all the materials for really cheap around here.. and theres something about flat black on plywood that i like.. aslong as you make it look professional but you just leave the finish to a flat black..i love it

thanks so much for your time
    :bassist: rock on!