1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Please help with RF noise !!!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Papersen, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I´m trying to record some tracks for our band upcoming album.
    I usually went Bass --> Sound Card. Now I added a SABDDI after the bass.

I first started with a MIA Fender for some tracks (pickups a bit noisy). When I started to record with some other basses a noisy RF is constantly there (I guess it´s a FM). It happens with active and passive basses as well.

However, some basses are completely silent (Peavey Cirrus) and some other, although they´re good instruments with proper shielding (3 Warwicks, Zon Sonus) amplify the signal constantly. The SABDDI makes things even worse.

I use my hi-fi system (which includes a radio tuner) speakers to monitor my recordings, plugged into my sound card.

Can anyone give me some help ?
    (recording only with the Cirrus isn´t a valid choice :)

2. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Try recording standing as far away from the monitor as possible. Or turn the monitor off while recording. Since the static energy from the monitor will be 'caught' by the pickups, sent through the cable, amplified by the SABDDI, and finally be stuck in with your recordings (which you don't want).

3. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002

I`ve tried that before with no good results.
    One thing I omitted was that when I plug those basses in my Ampeg Combo, I get the same noise, even with the PC and monitors turned off.

Thanks for the helpful advice anyway.