Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please Help!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kaufman35@yahoo, Aug 8, 2004.

1. kaufman35@yahoo

kaufman35@yahoo

Aug 8, 2004
    Hi,

I am not a bass player but I've always loved the sound of the bass guitar. I want to get a tattoo with the bass notes to my favorite song. The only trouble is, I have no idea how to read music, let alone figuring out how these notes would look on a scale.

My question is, is there some kind soul out there that can help me out?

I looked up tabs, which just confused me even more, but I hope if I give the link to the tabs, someone can help me out? If not I understand, and if I posted in the wrong place feel free to move this.

The Tabs

I just want the INTRO/CHORUS part. What notes are they? And how do they appear on the scale?

Thanks in advance,
    -Kristin

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

By the "notes" do you mean the letter names of the notes (E, F#A), the names (mi, fa# and la) or how those notes would actually look as written in standard notation?

I would strongly advise you not to have tab notation as a tattoo, because you might find yourself facing musicians who would recognize tab notation and would not admire your tattoo as much as you would like.

See if you can find the sheet music for the song you seek, but be sure the sheet music has the bassline as well as the guitar line. It is the bass clef you want as is demonstrated in the post directly above.

3. It's easy enough to turn the tab into standard notation, and I'd do it for you, but standard notation also notates rhythm, and I have no idea how the song goes.

I agree, magic marker is probably a more appropriate tool for this job. Still, it's your skin. :)

4. kaufman35@yahoo

kaufman35@yahoo

Aug 8, 2004
    The tattoo has nothing to do with what is popular, or who is going to look at it. It's for me, not anybody else. I came here for music help, not suggestions on my tattoo, and I'd appreciate it if we didn't get into that.

Sorry to sound so rude, but it's just how I feel. If someone can truely help me out, then I thank you.

5. By the way, just looking at a tab for the song, it looks like it would be about four or five lines of music. I don't think that would be very stylish.

6. kaufman35@yahoo

kaufman35@yahoo

Aug 8, 2004
    forget it :rollno: