1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Please Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brentdal, Mar 25, 2009.

1. brentdal

brentdal

Mar 25, 2009
    I have a Fender Jazz Bass that My husband received it from my Aunt who was married to a bassist from Vital Information. This was his bass. I am trying to get information and dates on it. He was told it was a '73 when He got it. The Neck Plate is missing. Any information will Help. Thanks! I will attach the some pictures in each post, I can't figure out how to post all the pictures in this post.

Attached Files:

1.jpg
      File size:
      38 KB
      Views:
      2.jpg
      File size:
      38.2 KB
      Views:
  2. brentdal

brentdal

Mar 25, 2009
    Here are more pictures

Attached Files:

3.jpg
      File size:
      36.3 KB
      Views:
      4.jpg
      File size:
      33.7 KB
      Views:
  3. hargmalone

hargmalone

Nov 30, 2008
    KY
    The neck should have a date stamped on the end. You'll have to take the neck off to see it. Of course, that only dates the neck. I'm not sure if there are any other dates on 'em. There may be a serial number decoder online somewhere. The letters look right for early '70s.

4. Need a pic of the end of the neck if there are any numbers on there (should be). and under the pickguard (to see there are any markings on the body) and the underside of the pickups.

5. brentdal

brentdal

Mar 25, 2009
    More Pictures

Attached Files:

5.jpg
      File size:
      17.9 KB
      Views:
      6.jpg
      File size:
      19.4 KB
      Views:
  6. brentdal

brentdal

Mar 25, 2009
    There is nothing under the pick guard and I can't tell if there is anything under the pick ups.

Attached Files:

7.jpg
      File size:
      25.3 KB
      Views:
      8.jpg
      File size:
      42.3 KB
      Views:
  7. Looks accurate enough to me, down to the Webright stamp.

8. brentdal

brentdal

Mar 25, 2009
    This is a You Tube video of his uncle... This was one of his early basses. Enjoy.

9. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I was wondering if the trail would lead to Jeff Andrews when this thread started.

Handle that bass with care, it's been played by a true master. He's one of my all time faves, and only recently are more clips of him starting to surface on You Tube. Check 'em all out, because Jeff is the real deal. Not nearly as widely known as he should be.

He was the main man at 55 Bar, long before Richard Bona, et al. ever set foot in the place.

Please, don't everybody go Frankening up your Fenders just because Jeff sounds so awesome when he plays his heavily altered and storm-tossed P's and J's. It's him, not the basses. He would kill on a Hondo or a Kent.

10. brentdal

brentdal

Mar 25, 2009
    He took my husband to 55 Bar when he was 10 years old. This is all interesting. My husband has tried to find video's of him for a while now. Jeff and My husband's Aunt got divorced around 01. So he hasn't heard from him in a while.

11. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I hope your husband is able to reconnect with Jeff if possible and that it's a good thing if so.

I wish I could collect a dollar for every person I begged to go check out Jeff Andrews in the last 10 years or so. I think he is a person that mainly other players know about, but not so much the general public, at least in the US. Which is way too bad.

The talent he's got, anyone would appreciate, whether they were a musician themselves or not. And he's doing his thing all within the context of being an honest to goodness bass player, not a step and strut, me-first showboater.

I sure am glad you put up those pix.