Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Please offer thoughts on my string choice

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by larry, May 5, 2005.

1. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    Hi,

I have been reading the string threads for a couple hours now, and I'm looking for advice:

I am currently using Obligatos on my E.H. Roth hybrid. I have a NS hybrid LaScala due to arrive in June, and I'm looking for something different in strings. I'm a jazzer, but I work on my arco chops and don't want to sacrifice too much sound there. I'm looking for a more gut-like sound than the Obligatos, with good volume and strong fundamental.

I was thinking about this:

G-Oliv

D-Oliv, Dominant or Obligato?

A-Dominant or Obligato?

E-Dominant or Stark?

I'll be talking to Arnold and Wil as well, Since I have not played Olivs or Domiants, I just thought I'd see if anyone was willing to offer their experience on how these might match up.

Thanks.

2. dex68

dex68 Guest

May 5, 2005
    Velvet Animas. They swing like hell, and they are very good for bowing. A lot of baroque orchestra players use them. I see that others in the string threads are not as enthusiastic as me, but there ya go. I believe them to be very well made, too. I had set of Velvet Garbos for two years, and loved them. The only reason I switched was for the bowing aspect, but now that I have them, I like them more. They are very precise pitch-wise, and have great volume. If you do try them, I think the best price is from Quinn Violins. They take a good three weeks to sound good, so be patient.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    You know my thoughts on the Dominants - I'm using the G, D, and A, and I like them very much. My teacher came by the house today and played them arco, and liked them quite a bit - enough to tell me that he was going to order a set when he got home and see how he felt about them on his bass. I have no experience with the Oliv, so I'll say nothing. The Obligatos sound great to me when I'm alone, but completely "wussy" when playing with others...but then I dislike floppy strings. The Dominants cut through even better than the Starks, and are easier on the fingers. HTH!

Edit: I'm still using the Stark E, and have yet to see anything that can touch it for my taste. I've ordered a Dominant E just for the hell of it, and will let you know when I get to try it. Good luck!

4. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    How long do these strings last?

5. dex68

dex68 Guest

May 5, 2005

My two year old Garbos are still fine. For a while I thought they were wearing out, but them the sound post got adjusted, and boom! they were back with avengence. They're sitting in cold storage until I want that sound again. The Animas have only been on a month now. Anyway, you'll never know till you try 'em. If you hate them, I'm sure you can sell them to someone who doesn't.