Plugging mic preamp output into 48V XLR input

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by keith rosier, May 11, 2021.

1. I'm about to buy a mixer. I will be plugging a Neve 1272 and Tab V71 DI into it.
    The mixer has a global 48V phantom switch. If I plug one of the mic pre outputs into a channel with the Phantom accidently turned on, will that damage the mic pre?

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I would contact the manufacturers and get their feedback.
    You might also ask a moderator to move this to the "Recording Gear and Equipment" section for input from other users.

3. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    You shouldn't be plugging the output of a preamp into a microphone input - not because of the phantom power, but because of the level mismatch.

4. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    What he said. This will result in degraded sound quality and cause other problems.

Also, pretty much every mixer ever made has a warning in the owners manual informing you that plugging or unplugging any microphone (or other device) to the XLR input with the phantom power turned on is likely to result in damage to the mixer, the microphone, or both.

Are there any line level inputs on your mixer? That's what they're for.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021