Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ply top sinking?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by yesdot, Apr 27, 2004.

1. yesdot

yesdot

Mar 8, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    My bass has a ply top which is begining to sink.
    Why does this happen?
    Is this usually a costly / difficult operation to fix?

Unable to find any prior threads addressing this issue...

2. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    If it's a new bass, expect some settling during the first year. Beyond that, is it sinking in one particular spot? Is the sound post making a bulge in the back of the bass? What kind of bass is it?

3. yesdot

yesdot

Mar 8, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Thanks for your reply John,

The bass is a 4/4 ply sb95 Artiste. Here are some old threads on the Artiste:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121558&highlight=artiste

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121558&highlight=artiste+bass

It is essentially an unused High School bass - returned to dealer due to sinking top. It could therefore be less than a year old.

The most prominent sinkage is between the f holes, right under the bridge. The soundpost doesn't appear to be making a buldge in the back...

4. SleeperMan2000

SleeperMan2000

Jul 31, 2002
    Cary NC
    [QUOTE='fess lots]My bass has a ply top which is begining to sink.
    Why does this happen?
    Is this usually a costly / difficult operation to fix?

Unable to find any prior threads addressing this issue...[/QUOTE]

Happening on my mid 50's Kay plywood, but it's had fifty years to sink. And there is a little bulge where the soundpost is as well.

Luthiers - What is the prognosis on sinking tables on old plywoods? Does a sinking table eventually affect the sound? Right now it sounds just fine, but in 10 years I'm worried it might lose it's mojo.

5. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Well, there's sinking that's normal and inevitable and there's sinking that's symptomatic of a problem[only yer luthier know's for sure]
    A soundpost too far back from the bridge foot will usually result in a bulge. Ply does'nt have too much longitudinal grain strength as opposed to real wood. This scenario is ugly but not too bad-I've seen many vibey plys like this.
    Another thing to watch out for in plys is the dreaded loose bassbar-it's pretty common. This needs to be dealt with and the loss of tone is your least worry. Look inside!
    Plate distortion may or may not be a worry but you really should know why it happened and if it'sgoing anywhere.

6. SleeperMan2000

SleeperMan2000

Jul 31, 2002
    Cary NC
    Jeff,

Thanks for responding. No worries on the soundpost, former owner superglued it. That was of course after he bondo'd the endpin hole because it was too big. Bondo is removed, hole is properly fixed, but the superglue remains. Oh yeah, and my luthier ducks and runs when he sees me coming!

Oh my, the price we pay for vintage vibe!