Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pocket bikes

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Apr 28, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My friend just bought 5 pocket bikes off of Ebay and plans on keeping one for himself and selling the rest. These things are strange. Not sure what the purpose is but it appears from this website that they are mainly for racing. They do look funny though and I think that's the main appeal to my friend. He does ride motorcycles too. It would have been handy to have one of these when I was attending Texas A&M (enormous campus) and had to park really far out from my classes. I could have just pulled one of these out of the trunk and driven right up to my building.

Anyone driven one?

[​IMG]

brad cook

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I tried a friend's Blata (sp?) out for a few minutes. It's really fun, but not worth the cost, to me. I'm happy with my full-size crotch rocket. :p

3. Pocket bikes look like a riot.

Wish I had the fundage and time for one. :cool:

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    My friend was able to get them pretty cheap because he bought a lot of 5. At the price he paid I can't imagine that they are the Italian ones. Probably Chinese knockoffs. I don't know though, he didn't really mention it. They can be had on Ebay for probably 500 bucks.

brad cook

5. I tried to use my friends, but due to my enormous 215 pound self I could only stay on for 3-4 seconds before falling over.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I love these things. There's usually a pocket bike demonstration going on at every motorbike event I go to, an especially good thing if you hapened to have a bored female in tow - you won't be able to drag her away from these little things.

Apparently it was supposed to be for kids originally, but men being men, it was only a matter of time before an adult tried to ride one for laughs. Well the blardy thing caught on didn't it, and the bikes started becomming more sophisticated mechanically. Nowdays they're basically mini-GP bikes with proper racing brakes, tyres, everything.

And they do look incredibly funny as they elbow each other in the corners. Look at the crowd when they're racing and EVERYONE from toddlers right through the grandparents has a smile from ear to ear.

7. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    They sell these where I live in Jersey City & I believe they are the cheap knockoffs.

Kids are buying these things like crazy & the cops in town are not happy. I almost got clipped by one coming out of my building. The guy was flying down the sidewalk in one.

While I do think they are cool...Its only a matter of time before a bad accident occurs.