poor man strap locks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Im sure im not the first to do this or come up with it but last night before my show I had no straplocks around and my old white strap was blown out and kept falling off at the slightest movements. I had no duct tape so what i did was simply straped up the bass and got some rubber bands and tied them to the end of the straps and build them up an woo la instant strap locks and fixed my whole delima. Just thought a cool little tip if you ever get stuck in that situation.
  2. Back when I was a poor teenager, I would use the square, plastic bag ties from loaves of bread. Just slip the little hole right over the top of the strap button. It works.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I used to use large diaper safety pins. They hold very well!
  4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Duct tape is the only way. You should carry some with you at all times. I am working on a pocket size dispenser.
  5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Deadking - I have to wonder if anybody really understands what it is that you did. I know that I don't. I do understand that you somehow used rubber bands to secure the strap to the strap buttons, but after reading your post three times, I'm still not clear on how it worked. It get's real confusing right about here:

6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't know what he said man... but the way he said it, he's got heart!

Actually, poor mans strap locks are fender washers and deck screws. Less than a buck for enough to do several basses. Not purdy, but your strap will fail before they do.
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I must be getting old - what about Grolsch beer bottle washers? Doesn't anybody use them anymore?
  8. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think what he does is wrap the rubber bands around the pin in order to keep the strap from slipping off of it.
  9. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Yeah im very inchoherent. Ill try to explain better. put on your strap like you normaly would and stand up with your bass. At the end of the strap buttons between the strap and the end of the buttuns all I did was kept tighting and adding rubber bands so the strap would not move.
  10. Dan

Jul 26, 2004
    Newcastle, UK
    BINGO! thats what i use, they are the greatest strap locks!
  11. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas

Heavy Duty beat me to it.... I was going to suggest the same thing :p
  12. I get a washer that fits the bottom of the strap peg trhu, then feed the strap the same way, then screw the button back on.

Either that, or I've done the bread tie trick many times. Works perfect.

Brendan's washer method is equally stable...you don't even need a strap pin that way. Beaut! :bassist:
  13. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    what about putting the strap on and then with a heavy duty needle,thread and a thymbol sewing up the strap's slot? :eyebrow:
  14. Not bad, but alot of effort for something that is still going to stretch and enlarge... (the leather will only last so long...)
  15. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    what i do, and also looks cool, imo, is to take a berr bottle cap, like hieneken, or bud or _________(<---insert favorite beer here) and drill a small hole in the middle, then put the screw threw it then screw it onto your bass
  16. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    hey firkingsoul, like my signature?
  17. I hate those plastic things I've had a bunch snap on me.

I like grolsh swing top washers the best... they work great.

I used to use duct tape but after a little while it peals and it goes sticky and ruined an old strap so i go for the neater option!
  18. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    man, i thought poor man's straplocks were either dunlops or schallers. i mean, for the price of an 18 pack of beer, im positive anyone can afford them.