Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Poor Man's Bridge Adjusters?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Johnny L, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    O.K. my bass doesn't have the little height adjusters for my bridge...but I wanted to play around a little bit with my string height and so I loosened the strings to scoot my bridge forward or backward just a tad (no more than an 8th of an inch from notch-center) to try out different string heights.

Has anyone tried experimenting with their string height using this trick? The only thing I can imagine to cause a problem would be messing with any afterlength tuning done by the luthier...and I don't really have a strong handle on what impact that has on the bass' tone good or bad.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Forget about after lengths. You are also move the Bridge closer and further form the possible best sound post position for that particular Bass. BAD Idea! You can also damage the Varnish/finish by the bridge feet. Also, you are changing the string length of the Bass and killing your intonation as you change the spacing for your fingers each time you move the bridge. Foolish idea. Get some adjusters!!

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    *hangs head down and tries to sneak off stage* LOL

O.K. Ken I'll save my pennies and have some adjusters put on it ASAP

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

Buy Ken a beer. He just save you a "heap o' trouble."

5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I don't drink Beer!.. But, there are ways..... :)

6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

"Beer" her was meant as a generic placeholder for a token of appreciation. Of course, that role is well-fulfilled by $$$. ;)