Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pop songs... tips for playing them?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by spots, Jan 4, 2005.

1. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    hi guys,
    this friday at my HS we're having a knockoff of American idol and I'm gonna be in the stage band. Here are some of the songs we're playing (behind singers of course).
    How do I live?-Leann Rhymes
    I wanna love you forever-Jessica Simpson
    God Bless America
    Ain't no mountain high enough-marvin gaye

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for playing bass in this style. I play mainly funk and jazz so this whole pop music thing is a weird (but very interesting) experience. If anything I've realized how well composed some of these songs are. I've been sticking mainly to outlining/arpeggiating the chords and being very meek in my approach to bass playing.
    I could use some tips to playing this style :help:
    thanks.
    ~spots

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    This is not a song for a meek bass line. The bass line drives Motown. Try to listen to the original with James Jamerson and copy it! You can't go wrong.

3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Well, if you play jazz, listen to the recordings and do what the studio bassist did and use that as the starting point.

But on Aint No Mountain High Enough, that's a James Jamerson classic, and every bassist will have his mental arms folded waiting to hear what you do. I strongly suggest really learning his part and just put your all into it. It's a chromatic tour de force, and should be familiar to you if you've ever listened to Ray Brown.

Actually, since you play funk and jazz, you should adopt this song as your bible for awhile until it lives inside you.

4. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    My tip... Don't.