1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Popped an E. No Burr that I can see. Help.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ian the bassist, Aug 5, 2012.

1. I managed to pop an E string, at the start of a gig. :p Of course I didn't have a spare string or bass, but managed to barrel through it. But anyway, I checked out the bridge, where the string broke. I could see it had wear, a few lines in the shape of the string embedding in and also a slight mark on the metal. But there wasn't anything sticking out to catch on the string to break it. I would think this wear wouldn't do anything to the string. But maybe I'm wrong. Do you guys think this would cause the string to break? I took off the G for a comparison and it had the marks as well, but not as many. Need to see if there is something wrong, as I have a very important gig coming up on Saturday. Supporting Sepultura, need to make sure everything is in order.

Edit. Also I got my bass serviced about 3 weeks ago, so the strings aren't too old.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    The string had been in for three Weeks? Generally if it's a Burr or simmering the string will break right a way.

Detail on the instrument /strings/tuning/ super slick show off bass moves being preformed?

3. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    You sure you didn't just break it? I break E strings every now and again, in some really manic slappin.

4. lokikallas

lokikallas

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    It could be a burr, they aren't always easy to see. Give it a light sand. But also try turning up your volume if you find your digging in to hear yourself.

5. Warwick streamer Jazzman. Daddario nickel wound 45-105. I had been using lighter strings until recently, when I decided to go a set heavier, since I'm tuning a step down now. D G C F. I was hitting the string hard, since it is a very heavy riff. I mean very hard. But I play this song all the time. Every rehearsal and on stage a few times with the band. Hasn't happened before.

6. Pretty hard to break E strings. I've broken G's from bending and slapping. But never an E from it. I hit the strings fairly hard too.

7. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    Yeah, I've never heard of it happening. Except in my case. I've done it on all sorts of strings and many different basses. The guys at my local GC hate me because I will usually break most of the strings on basses I'm trying out. I'm really not sure how, I guess I just hit ridiculously hard.

8. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    I would say it was a duff string rather than your bridge, get a replacement single and spare set. Sand out the saddle lightly with fine grit sandpaper, it probably won't take much to smooth it out. If it helps, wrap the sandpaper around a toothpick or similar to get a circular sanding surface.

Good luck with your gig! :)

9. LowerCrust

LowerCrust

Sep 5, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    The only string I've ever broken was a B that had a huge saddle bur from fooling around. Sanded it down, no trouble since it happened two years ago.

10. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Was the string popping in and out of the saddle? A .105 down tuned will be lower tension, you should use a .110 for that at least...

Anyway, if the string kept going in and out of the saddle that is what probably made the string break.

11. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    I have broken two "E" and two "G" strings and of course the strings I used the first time were Fender (junk, btw) and D' Addario. I found that it (D' Addario) was just a bad string, no burrs, just played it hard and it broke (in middle of my set also). Just saying that if there is no burr then it's probably just a bad string....I switched to GHS boomers and haven't broke one yet, in 5 yrs...

12. I'd been using DR sunbeams on the bass with 40-95. And I didn't break a string(that was being tuned up and down from standard, something that would potentially also shorten the strings life), they sounded a bit dull after a week or so. So I went up a set heavier, but I like having really low action as well for tapping and soloing. Going up another gauge(I already went up a gauge because of downtuning) would be a bit of a hinderance. Also the string hadn't popped out of the saddle. To my knowledge anyway. haha

13. Burrs or rough spots don't break roundwound strings anyway. That's a guitar problem.
    How much angle at the saddle is there? If the string has a really sharp bend in it, it will break more easily.

14. I'd say you had a bum string that failed at the worst possible time. It happens.

The lesson here would be to always have a spare set (even an old set comes in handy) tucked away just in case. I always keep them around for cases like this.

15. I'm thinking it was just a bum string. I hope anyway. It took 3 weeks for the string to snap, so I'm hoping if I re-string it tomorrow, it will last on Saturday hahaha. It's a 2 piece bridge. So the string angles up to the saddle, then for the rest of the bass and fingerboard, goes straight to the headstock and into the tuning heads. Standard warwick "3D" 2 piece bridge.

16. I managed to get through an entire gig without a G last year(though it's not as bad as an entire gig without an E hahaha). But I'll have to start bringing spare string and a spare bass(I'm left handed, so can't even borrow a bass off a support band or headliner)

17. Ah. I can see no way to adjust that bridge such that it might become a string breaker. It should be quite gentle on strings. Let's go with string theory.