Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pops' Bridge

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Chrix, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    I was reading his autobiography and I must admit that this bridge took me by suprise. Actually, it kind of scares me. It doesn't look like it'd be good for the top of the bass. Anyone know anything about this type of bridge? Who makes it? How's it sound? How long till those feet push through the top of the bass?

[​IMG]

2. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    There's a short thread about it here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138795

The only bass I saw one on had bad varnish damage from the metal feet, but it hadn't pushed through the top. (but the soundpost had)

The rear foor was adjustable as well, bringing the bridge top forward or backwards as you liked it.

I guess the theory was that instead of adjusting the soundpost for sound, you could experiment with the bridge angle, position and pressure. I suppose it didn't work out.

3. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Chrix-

Sorry if this seems ignorant- but who is that and where did you get that pic?

Thanks,
    Brian

4. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    That is George "Pops" Foster (of 'Pops' Rosin fame). He was a New Orleans jazz bassist. One of the first. Played with Louis as well as other great names from that era. I got the picture from his Autobiography. Hope that helps some. (I'm working on a biographical paper for my Yazz History class, so I still don't know as much about him as I will in a few weeks.)

5. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
  6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Oooh man, I suffered through a four hour gig on a bass with one of those. The strings were the size of telephone wire, I could fit my arm under the strings, and amplification was an SM-58 stuff in a rag. I was playing with Gabe Baltazar, a great alto player outta the Bird mold, so I was expected to do a fairly large amount of acrobatic soloing. Fortunately, the bar was right behind the room we were playing, so I could self-medicate every so often.

The bridge was chewing through the top of this bass as well.

7. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    I stand corrected. For whatever reason, I thought the rosin was named after this particular 'Pops'. Shows what I know. Anyhoo...

8. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Chrix,

Is there any info on that bass in the photo? (in the book?)

Does anyone have any info about his instruments?

Thanks,
    Brian