1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Portable Recorder?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by IotaNet, Apr 10, 2006.

1. To the Group -

I need a cheap device for recording rehearsals and learning songs.

Ideally, I want something that is small, with a built-in mike, and cheap but records in digital format (i.e. wav/mp3/etc.). I don't need anything approaching studio quality -- I am looking for an alternative to a cassette recorder. I would like to spend $50-$100.

Back in the day, one would take a cheap cassette recorder to rehearsal, press play & record, and let it go. You could then take those tapes home and practice from them.

I'd like to do the same thing but have the ability to upload those files to a computer. From there, I could burn them to CD, slow them down, loop them, etc. etc. (I suppose I am looking for the equivalent of an Ipod with a microphone.)

If all else fails, I could buy a $20 cassette recorder but in 2006, there has to be a digital alternative -- isn't there? :help:

2. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    I use a tape recorder, and I don't think you'll find a digital alternative at anything near a reasonable price.

3. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I use a Zoom MRS-8 for exactly that purpose, among others. It works quite well, but it's a fair bit more than the range you're asking in. I don't think there's anything in the digital realm that can handle the db's and fits that range to the best of my knowledge. :meh:

4. One thing I noticed as that these devices require an external mike. Would it be possible to use one of those portable digital recorders that folks use for voice dictation?

Remember - I don't need audiophile quality -- I just need to record what's happening in rehearsal so I can go home and work out the songs. The key for me is unobtrusiveness, simplicity, and portability.

Suggestions?

5. Check this out...it has mpeg4 video/audio recording to an SD card, plays MP3's and has a voice recorder function. The audio is not going to be audiophile quality, but maybe good enough for what you need (you get video as well). I think with a fairly small SD card, you get HOURS of voice recording and maybe an hour or so of video. There's cheaper models too that are available used (they record video at 15fps instead of 30).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Panasonic-SV-AV50_W0QQitemZ7608400565QQcategoryZ1085QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

6. HiMD recorder is what I use. Couldn't find anything as cheap and compact that recorded full range audio. No built in mic, but damn close - (a very compact stereo condenser mic that plugs straight into the side.)

Voice recorders should be shunned by bass players - they're terrible for bass. There's still a lot of territory between "not audiophile" and "voice recorder quality!" The HiMD records the full audio frequency spectrum, the only limit is the mic you plug in.