1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Possible makeover help?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Aivie, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Aivie

Aivie

Dec 27, 2012
    Los Angeles
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363835729.127394. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1363835865.820691.

hey there!!
    Now, don't chew me up guys, I was just wondering if I could get an opinion on this.

Judging by what you see in the photos, would it be possible at all to modify this old bass to make it better in any aspect, and perhaps give it a new paint job?

Thanks in advance for any help!

PS, this is the only bass I am using at the moment and cannot afford a new one.

2. Aivie

Aivie

Dec 27, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Anyone?

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    You could start with some knobs.

4. BenBL

BenBL

Jun 25, 2012
    SPLATTER PAINT IT!!!

5. Hues

Hues

Nov 27, 2012
    see Burn Notice
    This was in the Splatter thread (it's not splattered).

I think it's coolest thing I've seen in a while. And you reproduce it easy by sponge painting a top color/colors of your liking. You already have the dark undercolor.

May not even need a full break down, with good masking....And if you forgo a clearcoat.

*I strongly suggest practicing with the sponge before doing the bass.

msc - BNinety_zpsdb4f8952.

6. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Not enough info for me to give any input.

7. BumbleB

BumbleB

Mar 19, 2013
    aurora, colorado
    If I were in your shoes I'd just save up for a new, better bass.

Does your current bass sound halfway decent, enough to get by on?

It just seems silly (IMO) to end up spending as much on upgrades as one could put toward a new (or used) instrument.

Good luck

8. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    How about a little help? What's wrong with it (other than paint?) and could the paint be buffed out?
    What's not working on it? What don't you like about it? What kind of bass is it?
    INFO, please.

9. macrocheesium

macrocheesium

Sep 12, 2012
    You could holoflash it. There are a lot of youtube tutorials on this and it doesn't appear to be difficult.

Legend4X-Classic.

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    New pups and pssoibly a 2-3 band preamp for sound upgrade. Though applying that money toward new bass moight be better unless you really like the playability and feel of yours as is.

11. BumbleB

BumbleB

Mar 19, 2013
    aurora, colorado
    That holoflash looks awesome!
    Maybe I'll do that to mine (not the Schecter coming in!)

12. Looks like a Rogue bass, not really worth putting alot of money into. Cheapest thing to do would be either paint, pickguard, or custom decal work, providing that you can do it yourself. Different knobs might help. Find images of something that you like and try to find a cheaper way to mimic that bass. I always wanted to have a bass that was painted like it was a really old weathered Dr. Pepper sign, maybe someday. You could give it a relic finish, might add a touch of coolness.

13. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    OP didn't get an immediate response, and seems to have dropped out of this de factp turdpolishing thread.

14. Aivie

Aivie

Dec 27, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Thanks guys!!
    FYI JLS I've been busy!!

I def like the paint splatter idea, and you're right I do need knobs on it, it might not be the best bass in the world but it's all I got for now.

15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Some decals...or better yet....cut some self-adhesive woodgrain shelf paper to shape and make a faux AAAA figured top. Be sure to add $400 when you sell it in the classifieds.

Riis