Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Possible nut/tuning peg problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Smokey, Feb 1, 2004.

1. I have been quite happy with my Standard MIM Fender Precision, however, I have found a little problem. When I pluck the A string upwards, I have a perfect A sound, but when I stroke it downard, with pick or thumb or otherwise, it makes an obnoxious buzzing sound. Upon inspection, I noticed this buzz only goes away when I place slight pressure on the string just after the nut. I also noticed that the bend of the A string isn't as noticable as it is with the other strings, maybe this could be why I am experiancing this buzz? This normally wouldn't be a problem, but I am becoming more of a pick user from time to time, so any input would be helpful. Thanks.

2. It sounds like you don't have the string wound enough times around the tuning peg.

3. I need to restring it anyway, I'll see what the people at the local store say about it.

4. Fender style headstocks naturally have that problem. They don't tilt back, so strings don't bend much either. The D and G strings would be even worse, if it weren't for the string retainer. I personally wrap the string more, and thus the string bends all the way down to the bottom. I think the A string shouldn't be cut, so as to allow more wrappings.

5. I'll keep that in mind when I get them replaced.

6. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    If you want a little more tension on the strings, leave it uncut like they said, and also make sure that you wind the string around the nut so that the string leaves the nut at the bottom of the winding, which gives the most downward angle and more tension. If I explained that poorly, let me know and I'll try it again.

7. Since these are the factory strings, I can't do too much about the length now. I restrung the A today, and made sure it left at the bottom of the peg, but it didn't make a difference. Now that it's been said, I recall hearing that about Fender headstocks before, that the angle isn't enough. I get the feeling I am not the only one who has had this problem?

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'm having a similar problem with one of my basses. The open A-string will buzz @ the nut, and the string is wound all the way to the bottom of the tuning post. If I apply the slightest bit of pressure on the string just after the nut, the buzzing stops. I'm thinking of installing a "Bar"-type string guide (tree).

[​IMG]

9. That will do the trick, for sure!

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. I doubt I'll have a tree put on if I can avoid it, since this bass is my first "serious" bass. I don't plan on putting too much extra money into it, unless I have to. But thanks to everyone who has been giving advice on the matter.

11. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    FWIW, the "tree" that I posted a pic of above is $3.99...

12. $3.99? Maybe it's not such a bad idea, thanks Slater.

13. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I just put different strings on the bass I was having a problem with, and I went from a 0.080 to a 0.085 gauge A-string. Again, I have the string wound all the way to the bottom of the tuning post, and the buzzing at the nut has stopped (at least for now). So, for me, a heavier string has seemed to help my situation.

14. If you don't mind putting holes into your headstock, a string tree would be perfect.

15. Another condition that can cause that rattle at the headstock is a string that doesn't fit the slot in the nut perfectly. It'll rattle just like poor tension will. One of the reasons Slater's new strings cured the problem was that the larger gauge filled the slot more.

One solution is to fill the old slot with superglue, let it cure, and then cut a new slot. You could do this with epoxy also.

If you are going to cut your own nut, there are 2 ways to go. The first is to create a perfect round-bottomed slot exactly the same width of the string. It's pretty hard to do and that's why you'll see it on higher end basses. The simpler solution is to cut a "V" slot. This will hold the string just as well and will keep it from rattling. It's also a simple cut to make with a triangular file.