1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Possibly buying a double bass, advice needed

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Rocks, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    Hi. I have a chance to pickup what looks like a beautiful double bass. It appears mint in the pictures. I've never played one before so I need to know what to look for to make sure its a good deal and a playable bass. From what he told me his father bought it new in Mexico over 15 years ago, I don't know any more than that. Please help me make an educated purchase.

Thanks!

2. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    Let me be the first to recommend you take the instrument to a bass luthier; the seller should have no problem with this. Search the archives for the benefits of doing this--you won't be sorry.

--Steve

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Note that Bob Gollihur maintains a list of bass luthiers. You're probably not far from one.

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Pictures and information would help us advise you. Can you tell us any more?

Certainly getting it checked out by a luthier would be a smart move. Really nothing we could tell you speculatively that would equal that. However, if you give us some deets, we'll try.

5. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    I can email pics to anyone interested, just PM me.

6. punkozuna

punkozuna

Mar 19, 2011
    Irrigon, Oregon
    The price is cheap. It looks intriguing in the pictures. If you are at all interested, buy it before someone else does. If I lived close, I'd already have it.

It's a crap-shoot as to whether it's any good or not but it's so cheap, it's worth the risk IMO.

Check and make sure it's not 1/2 size. Many of "those" are. Even if it is 1/2 size, it's still not a bad price if you can use it or resell it.

7. I haven't seen your pictures of it, but since it's from Mexico, you want to be careful it isn't one of these tololoches. (See pic.)

Unless you want one, of course. But they're quite different from a double bass. They have a pine fingerboard and are tuned A1-D2-G2-C3, among other important differences.

Attached Files:

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021