Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pot designation?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by luknfur, Feb 12, 2004.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Aside from ohms on pots, is there any of the rest of that jargon printed on a pot that will tell you anything about what the pot is. I recently installed a blend pot with a center detent. Wired it per Bart diagram as I've done with others. But the pot works from the center out, ie. in effect gets louder and clearer as it's turned toward neck or bridge position, aside from the blend effect. At the detent it's muddy. Definitely different but I'm not sure how useful it will be in the long wrong but initially my thought is it sucks. And it may not be the pot at all but the question still stands. Another thread that doesn't seem to belong to any forum.

2. You're in the right place but I'm not up to being of any help.

Helooo pkr2!

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Sometimes the numbers indicate the value and taper of the pot and sometimes the numbers are only part numbers.

If you have a multimeter it's very easy to check the resistance and taper. If you don't have a multimeter, I strongly suggest that you get one. One of the el cheapo analog meters is all you need for most repairs and measurements.

So, the answer to your question is that the numbers are helpful on some pots but not all of them.

Check your wiring for a phasing problem. Sometimes when wiring switches etc., it's pretty easy to get a wire crossed. what you describe is the symptoms of a phase error between the two pups. Hope that answers your question.

Harrell S.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

Have a meter. Never had an experience like that with a blend pot. Check the wiring, looks fine (Barts: red/white together, green/ground together, and black to blend). I don't recall the pups responding like that in the other two harnesses I've had in the bass (Bart NTMB & XTCT).

As for the pots, I know there're all kind of pots out there but aside from audio or linear, the response I consistently get is a 500K pot (whatever) is a 500K pot.

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Sorry, but without seeing your wiring , I can only make guesses.

A 500k pot means it 500,000 ohms resistance. K means thousands, M means millions.

6. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    My pots for my home made octave organ just have 100k on them indicating 100 KOhm. I didn't need to know any more than that.

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

You only need to know more if the taper makes a difference. Or the wattage rating of the pot. Or the length of the shaft. Or any one of a number of specs that enter into a choice for a particular pot.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Appreciate the feedback. All I could decipher was the ohm rating but thought I'd ask. That's what this board's for.

=====================================================

"The only Holy Grail thats exists in the bass world is not in the bass, it's in the player."

9. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    All most people need to know is the resistance. not many people poke around in their guitar unless something is wrong.

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I like the low end Ibanez basses and pull the pups/electronics for Barts, etc. Not into the Wood theory and definitely don't like a bass over 8 lbs.

========================
    "The only Holy Grail that exists in the bass world is not in the bass, it's in the player."