1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pot value help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by voodoo92, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Gday. i just started putting in my new preamp yesterday and when i put the knob on and took it off the volume pot it pulled the hole shaft out preety much. So now that pots stuffed and want to get a new pot asap. I looked at my old preamp to see if it had the same value i needed (50k) but its 500k sadly. Is there any way at all that i could use it as a temporary solution till i get a replacement 50k? Its an active system btw.
    Cheers

2. anyone able to help at all??? sorry but in a rush sort of

3. I would just temporarily skip the pot.

If you need to be able to mute the bass, you can use the 500K pot as a sort of on/off switch.

4. what do u mean by skip the pot? you mean leave it out? I cant see a way to do that on mine if thats what you mean. and how would the 500k work as an on off switch?

5. You can just leave it out and wire whatever was connected to terminals one and two together.

Using a 500K pot with a low impedance signal will mean that for most of the pot's rotation, it will have little effect on the signal.

Once you get down to a certain spot toward the end of the rotation, it's going to abruptly "kick in" and mute.

6. Would a blend pot work at all? i think the one off of my old pre is about 100K? so if i just use one side would hat work at all or just waste of time"?

7. If you wire the two pots parallel, that's 50K. The only question is how the tapers are going to work.

What are the tapers for each pot?

8. im sorry im not very electronically minded so i dont know what the tapers are.
    http://www.artecsound.com/pickups/electronics/se2.html
    This is the preamp i have (SE2-A) with the stacked pot. Wiring is apparently quick easy with this as all u do is collect the output, pups, bat, earths ect and then clip the 3 pots to each other. no need to solder then together just clip.

9. Tylertimestwo

Tylertimestwo

Mar 10, 2009
    Austin, TX
    maybe just stack up a couple 1/8ths of some valley cush and go with a J

10. i have no idea what that means.

11. Bevo1995

Bevo1995

Nov 8, 2009
    Heart o' Texas
    Around these parts it's about $45 per 1/8th.