1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Potential short circuit of daisy chain pedals - any damage done?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DeadbeatLine, May 6, 2018.

1. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    Hi all,

I have a T Rex Fuel tank, which is a 10 output (8 9v DC, one isolated 12v DC and one isolated 12v AC) Pedal power supply. The 8 9v outputs are not isolated and are essentially a glorified daisy chain.

I currently have 7 9v pedals plugged into it, and today I was messing around with another 9v pedal, and the extra power cable I added accidentally touched the metal chassis of the pedal, and all pedals stopped working briefly, then resumed. They all seem to be working fine with no obvious problems, though I have noticed the power supply now has a light 'whine' to it that I hadn't noticed before (though it very much could have been there before hand).

As stated, all pedals 'seem' fine at the low volume I tried them at, is there likely any actual damage done?

Thanks guys!

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    If your pedals are now working then they most likely weren't damaged. Most modern pedals have (or should have) polarity protection on their DC power inputs. However, short circuits are not good for power supplies, again most quality power supplies are protected from over-current or short-circuit conditions. If it still works, you're fine.

:bassist:

DeadbeatLine likes this.
  3. DeadbeatLine

DeadbeatLine

Nov 13, 2013
    Thanks Crater! I've given it a few days and everything seems to be working as usual, if anything I'm overthinking it now and listening out for tiny minute details or differences that don't exist, that being said, I have a gig tonight so playing at gig volume levels should definitely make anything apparent.

Thanks for the help!