Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tash, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    What's the difference between the PLX and RMX series amps by QSC? What other manufacturers should be looked at when buying a power amp?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Features. Mainly features. I think the RMX has some very wierd way of running it in bridged mode, but the PLX is pretty standard. I would also look at crown or crest audio as well. Also, I have heard great things about stewart world series amplifiers.

3. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Also, the PLX amps have switchmode power supplies and are lightweight, and the RMX amps have huge toroidal transformers in them, making them rather heavy. And cheaper. The PLX series isn't necessarily better than the RMX, but it is lighter and more expensive... I think.

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The RMX and PLX Series will do the exact same thing: Give you tons of reliable power. While there may be a minor difference in features here or there, the key difference is that the PLX series is about half the weight and easier to handle.... most of the reason for the PLX amps being more expensive.

I've noticed when I see QSC power amps at clubs, they're almost always the RMX model, and they're situated semi-permanently.... no need to move them in a club. And you'll probably find that a higher percentage of bass players that use a QSC power amp in their rack somewhere are using the PLX series, to save themselves about 20lbs. I know 20lbs doesnt sound like a whole lot, but when the weight of your rack is going to be 60lbs or 80lbs, you tell me which one you'd rather lift. :p

Me... I'm 18. I dont have a lot of money. My band's practice space is my basement. And I provide for 2/3 of the band's equipment. I'm sure that my bigger, stronger bandmates will do their part in carrying my heavy gear. So... I got me an RMX at 42lbs. It just depends on different aspects of your musical, social, and financial situations.

5. xonebass

xonebass

Feb 17, 2005
    Orange, CA
    I currently have a PLX 3402 and I love it. I was originally considering getting an RMX due to the price, however, I changed my mind once I saw two very important things (to me).

One is that the PLX is 20 lbs lighter (that's very important for a mobile band) and it also has a lower distortion threshold. Admittedly, the RMX still has a great low distortion threshold but I'm super anal retentive that way. Plus I think the PLX looks cool.

If you have the dough go with the PLX otherwise the RMX is a very reliable workhorse from all accounts (or so I've heard).

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    QSC is one of the mfgr's to look at for sure. Crown would be another. I've had several. most recent is a CE1000 which is a really good amp. Mackie would certainly be workth a look as well. If weight is an issue, Stewart is pretty popular with bassists.

Me I'll stick with Crown, every time I've had a question, I call them and they tell me the answer ... good customer service wins my vote.