1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

power cables

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SMHP, Feb 28, 2008.

1. SMHP

SMHP

Jan 3, 2007
    San Diego
    alright sorry if this was posted before, i did a search but didnt find anything

ok so i have a huge rack with all the power coming from a power conditioner. this leads to SOO many extremely long power cables (is that what theyre called? the ones that go from the equipment to the wall?) going everywhere and taking up a TON of space. i took them all, wrapped them up and zip tied them together and they still take up a very large space.

all my cables are 5feet or longer when i only need them to go about 6 inches from the input on the equipment to the input on the power conditioner above it.

anyways my question is: does anyone make extremely short power cables? i have little to no knowlege about electricity so could there possibly be a power problem with having such short cables? i looked online and no companies (that i could find) make them and i asked the guy at GC (not that they know anything at all haha) and he looked at me like i was an idiot.

sorry for the long post, any help would be appreciated
    and sorry if it doesnt make sense im not perfect with english yet

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I've always shortened them by snipping the existing cable at the length I want, stripping the outer insulation back 1.5" or so, stripping each lead's individual insulation back .75" or so, and screwing the right wires to the right terminals of a slimline AC male socket from the hardware store.

3. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
  4. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    Hey Man

You might also want to check out Bayou Audio Cables. Here's a direct link to the page you want.
    http://www.bayoucables.com/pages.php?page=power
    He doesn't custom fit them, but he has several short lengths for the purpose you're asking about.