Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Power Conditioners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by teedub, Oct 16, 2003.

1. I thought this would be the best area to ask this question because it pertains directly to amps.

I like to get a few opinions on rack-mount power conditioners, namely regarding which are the most reliable and consistent, and which provide the most protection from spikes and what not.

Basically the question is the age-old adage:
    "Which one should I get?"

A single rack space unit would be ideal.

Many thanks for any and all help!

-trev-

2. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    If your willing to travel with a separate unit then check out the conditioners for computers they cost a whole bunch less!

3. Are they around the size of a power bar? And are they just as effective as a rack-mount one?

Actually, it would be nice to save the rack-space for a wireless unit down the road......

4. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    This is similar to what we have used for recording and front of house gear. I wouldn't suggestion plugging your main speaker amps into them but it should handle your rig or there may be something else on the site that will. I like the features better than rack mount but you need to compare side by side to choose which will serve you better.
    good luck!
    http://www.minutemanups.com/

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Power conditioners generally aren't much use for power amps, and I would say they're more of a hindrance. They're fine for preamps, effects units, and such.

6. I'm running an SVT-4 PRO, so I think it would be a good idea to have one, especially since I've run into problems with "dirty" power on a few occasions.

7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    [​IMG]

I've used this for many years.
    Cut's RF & EMI, surge protection, circuit tester,
    metal mount on the back.

Just had it mounted upside down inside my
    4 space SKB.

Got mine for $20.

8. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    If the "dirty" power is undervoltage, a power conditioner will not help.
    You may need a line regulator to step up the low voltage. A Line regulator will change the voltage (step up or down)to keep the voltage constant. Line regulators typically have EMI/RFI Noise Filters just like Power Conditioners.

Furman sells a line regulator but it is very expensive. Several UPS companies sell line regulators but most are not rackmountable.
    Even though they are not rack mountable, you might take a look at:
    http://www.apcc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=67

Line Regulators can really help if you are playing a gig where a limited amount of power is available.
    We play an outdoor gig on a lake that everything is running off 2 circuits. Before I started using Line regulators, my amp would sometimes sound like it was not putting out as much sound. It coincided with certain loud passages running through the PA Mains(on the same circuit).
    The problem no longer occurs now that we run 4 Line Regulators (Bass, PA Mains, PA Monitors, Guitar/Keyboards). The Undercurrent light on the APC Line-Rs do flash during the loud passages though.