1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Power Handling Paranoia

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Gaz, Oct 1, 2008.

1. The Gaz

The Gaz

Sep 24, 2008
    i'm currently running an SWR 750x head and 8 ohm Eden D410XLT. Using an 8 ohm cab the head is only using half of its wattage, which is well below the handling of the cab at 700 watts.

i'm interested in getting another cab, and found a cheap ($125) Ashdown 115 cab - 8ohms and 250 watts continuous power.

can it handle my head's power, even at only 375 watts?

does it make a difference that it's being used with another cab?

does chaining them together, rather than running them from separate outputs effect the wattage? (i think chaining them makes the cabs 4 ohms, using all 750 watts of my head, and essentially making it the same.)

i'm i too paranoid about power handling?

thanks.

2. it depends on how loud you will be playing, if you aren't pushing your head really hard, it may not be a problem, but there might be the possibility of blowing out that 115 if it takes more wattage than it is rated for.

3. Square waves from a head with not enough power tend to pop speakers more than more power from the head into the cab. I used to run 1400 watts into a 700 watt cab and I never had any problems at all. I had a ton of headroom and super clear tone.

I'd say go for it.

4. you were continuously pushing 1400 watts into a cab?:eyebrow:

5. :scowl:

6. Gearhead43

Gearhead43

Nov 25, 2007
    NorCal
  7. The Gaz

The Gaz

Sep 24, 2008
    thanks everyone so far. it's clear that i'm looking for excuses to buy a cheap cab that isn't ideal for my setup. c'mon! $125!

8. If your amp is 750 watts at 4 ohms, then if you add the MAG115 cab, you'll be running 375 watts into each cab. Some might say that's too much for the Ashdown cab. *shrug*

doesn't matter how you hook it up - daisy chained, or two cables from the amp - still the same result. (unless you ran them in series somehow - but then each cab would get less than 200 watts... and what's the point of that?)

9. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Go for it, at $125 you don't risk much. Adding speaker(s) is usually a good way to go if you need more volume.

As for blowing speakers - mindless EQing can do that beautifully; use your ears and common sense and you'll be fine. :hyper: