Power Supply Help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gully35, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Gully35

Gully35

Apr 2, 2012
    Belfast, NI
    Hi guys, I'm hoping someone on here may be able to give me some advice on a suitable power supply to buy.
    I am upgrading my board to a Metro 20 and require a slimline power supply to fit underneath. Hoping the Truetone CS6 will be enough but don't want any noise issues.
    The 8 pedals I have are:
    Strymon El Cap - 9v 250MA
    Way Huge Swollen Pickle - 9v 3.1MA
    EHX Freeze - 9v 140MA
    MXR Analog Chorus - 9v 13MA
    MXR Bass Octave - 9v 14MA
    MXR Bass Env Filter - 9v 6MA
    Darkglass Vint Microtubes - 9v 20MA
    Boss Tuner - 9v 30/85MA

If I used the CS6 could I daisy chain a few pedals? or would I be better getting something like a CIOKS DC8?
    I was looking at a pedaltrain classic junior with a CS12 but I think it is bigger than I need.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne

2. halech54

halech54

Jul 15, 2015
    Richmond VA,
    Hello Wayne,

You should be able to daisy chain a few pedals together; specifically the ones with the lowest draw. I try to keep digital pedals on their own supply so the El Cap and the Freeze should be isolated; but chaining together drives shouldn't be an issue. I own two Truetone power supplies and they're both great, the CS7 and the CS12 and thus I don't think you'll have a problem. If you wanted a little more flexibility to add some other options in the future maybe getting the bigger board and the CS12 is the right thing to do!

Hope this helps.

cheapbasslovin likes this.
  3. +1.

You can always daisy chain a few pedals together. If you pick up some noise, change up your pairings to see which ones work better together.

halech54 likes this.
  4. Gully35

Gully35

Apr 2, 2012
    Belfast, NI
    I think I might go with the CS6, and daisy chain the swollen pickle with the envelope filter, and the chorus with the bass octave from another output as they have the lowest draw if I am correct.
    It says the CS6 is 1600MA, the totalI need times 2 = roughly 1000 MA so hopefully should be ok?

5. That'll be fine. Honestly, you could probably load them all up on one 500mA output and still be good. You'll have more than enough headroom for what you're planning.

Gully35 likes this.
  6. Cazman

Cazman Supporting Member

May 9, 2003
    I just switched to the Cioks DC7. 500 ma on each output... 9v switchable to 12v. Plus the added ruggedness of RCA connectors. I run 9 pedals plus my wireless. It’s compact and dead quiet.

cosmicevan and Gully35 like this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021