Powered cabs with preamp pedals like the EHX Battalion:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by O.j. Malm, May 5, 2019.

1. O.j. Malm

O.j. Malm

Jul 1, 2014
    I've looked at different powered cabs like the ISP Bass Vector 210, and I wonder if it's possible to plug the output of the Battalion into the XLR with a 1/4 unbalanced mono jack to XLR guitar cable or if I have to use a cable from the Battalion's XLR/DI output?

2. Possible definitely but also possibly sub optimal depending on pedal output and how well the amp operates on an unbalanced signal.

Sometimes you get a thru / link output on that kind of amp, might let you DI from there.

3. O.j. Malm

O.j. Malm

Jul 1, 2014
    I'm restarting this thread: Would it be possible to connect a preamp pedal to a powered studio monitor like the
    Mackie MRS10?

4. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Virginia
    I was always curious about the same. Was thinking one of the smaller Bag End units that have some kind of built in pre amp like these:

S12-N-300x258.png
    IPS12N-N

Musical Instrument Systems SERIES

Datasheet
    View Service Parts
    High Res Image

• Single 12” Musical Instrument System, 8 Ohms
    • Includes both Internal Infra Processor and Amplifier
    • Designed For Bass Instruments, Chapman Stick and Guitar
    • Nebula coated, compact enclosure with Neo Lite Driver
    • *2/6 Yr. Limited Warranty
    • 15”h x 18”w x 15”d, 34 Lbs

$1,233.00

PS10N-N

Musical Instrument Systems SERIES

Datasheet
    View Service Parts
    High Res Image

or similar monitor style:
    TA1202-RF-300x291.png
    PTA1202-RF

Datasheet
    View Service Parts
    High Res Image

• Single 12” 2-Way Time Align Full Range System
    • Includes Internal Amplifier, External DSP Not Required
    • Configured For Floor Monitor Applications
    • Durable Black Ro-Tex Finish, 21”h x 14”w x 11.5”d, 39 Lbs

Attached Files:

5. O.j. Malm

O.j. Malm

Jul 1, 2014
    Thanks!

6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    The Mackie MRS10 is a subwoofer meant to provide extended bass to studio monitors. As such, you won't be able to get the full spectrum of frequencies from your bass and preamp. You would need to add other monitors to provide the mids and higher frequencies. See the hookup diagram in the manual:
    https://mackie.com/sites/default/files/PRODUCT RESOURCES/MANUALS/Owners_Manuals/MRS10_OM.pdf

Your cabling would be bass guitar into the preamp using the standard 1/4" connectors and cable, then preamp XLR out to the XLR in on the MRS10. I'm not convinced that the Battalion's instrument level output (1/4") would be appropriate for the TRS inputs on the MRS10. Note that as your bass and preamp are mono-only sources, you won't have stereo output from your monitors.

If you already have the monitors you can give it a try, but I wouldn't invest in it. It is absolutely the wrong solution for live performance. Studio monitors are meant to be used in a studio and aren't rugged enough for gigging. They are meant to be installed once, aligned to the room and left untouched.

lomo and S-Bigbottom like this.
  7. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    I've got the ISP Vector cab. And Beta pre. Cab works with line level XLR cable. Sounds pretty kicka**.
    I also have a Bag End powered 210 I use a GK Plex pre with.
    If you don't need tons of volume Tech 21 has a flat response powered cab and extension called Power Engine Deuce Deluxe.
    I personally haven't tried the Mackie. Though I do have their little Bluetooth speaker.

8. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    If you really want to go this route, I'd consider a higher quality preamp pedal (Aggie TH, Mesa Subway, etc). Just my .02 Good luck.

johnpbass and Zbysek like this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021