1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Powerful article about practicing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by xnewyorka, Nov 4, 2018.

1. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Chris Fitzgerald and dbbltime like this.
  2. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    All that and we don't know if he got in

3. xnewyorka

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
  4. With this kid's work ethic, there was no way he wasn't getting in.

LBS-bass likes this.
  5. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Not to be a downer, but I feel like making an 11 year old practice the same song over and over again, 3 hours a day for 6 months is cruel and unusual.

But maybe that's what it takes to get into Juliard.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  6. xnewyorka

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Yeah, I thought about that. As long as the parents make it a free choice for the kid, and then they fully support the kid's choice, I'm OK with it. I don't see it as being very different from young gymnasts or other aspiring Olympians.

Mushroo and Spin Doctor like this.
  7. I sometimes have issue with parents who turn their kids into mediocre people in the name of making them "well rounded". I knew a kid who was the son of a co-worker who by the age of 10 knew as much about the mechanics of football as any adult I'd ever met. He lived football. He favorite thing to do was to watch old superbowls and analyze the games and all the plays.

His Mom however, was determined to make him "well rounded". I've since left that job so I don't know how the kid turned out, but I know for a fact that if anyone was born to play football, it was that kid. I just hope she didn't ruin him... But he's her kid. Not much you can say about it.

8. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    What’s the best cello for metal? Kid may need that info someday. :)

9. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Dig the article, thanks for posting! All those hyperlinks make me feel ADD though. Good articles in the article, in the article?!?!?

It sounds like the young man has a great teacher. It’s the good ones that help you to embrace the struggle and teach you how to build it into your practice routines so you progress.

xnewyorka likes this.
  10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Nice article! For me the best part was this:

Very well put, IMO.

Bondobass and xnewyorka like this.
  11. Getting into Julliard is quite a feat. its very competitive, especially in the field of piano, violin and cello performance. it takes enormous effort to master the skills and repertoire to get into the major schools. There is a local DB instructor whose curriculum vitae lists how many double bass students he has placed at the major schools including Julliard.

That said, in the drive to master technical perfection in the classical field, a lot of other musical experience gets bypassed. So I feel sad for the kid if he didn't get some exposure to the RHCP.