Powering on/off active speakers not easily accessible

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by bassnat, Sep 24, 2016.

1. bassnat

bassnat

Jan 31, 2011
    We want to move our subs under the stage at church. The problem is that they are not accessible to power on/off. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. ASQTec

ASQTec Above Average Supporting Member

May 2, 2010
    Plug them into a power strip that has a switch. Place the power strip in an easily accessible place on the side of the stage.

Gearhead17, Al Kraft and s0c9 like this.
  3. bassnat

bassnat

Jan 31, 2011
    I was not sure if that was ok or could create problems, not using the power switch.

4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    it will be fine.. if you leave the subs power switch "ON" and connect them to a power strip (or power drop box of some kind) you're essentially moving the power switch to the power switch.. depending on your system, make sure you power up the subs last and turn them off first, or you'll possibly get a nasty "thump" if you turn off upstream sources (like mixer) connected to them first..

Al Kraft likes this.

5. As a former pro audio installer, I’d advise taking care when using a power strip for amplifiers. Do not, under any circumstance, ever use one of these things:

[​IMG]

If you ever took one apart and saw how cheaply they’re built it would scare your pants off. Pure junk. You can see the internals of one in this YouTube video .

If you must us a power strip for amplifiers, get a heavy-duty one that uses real electrical outlet devices:

[​IMG]

All that said, I’m not sure a power strip is such a hot idea in this situation. Like ASQTec said, it would have to be located out from under the stage, probably in a side room, to be accessible. This means that you’d have to run extension cords from the powered subs to the power strip.

Probably the latent installer in me, but that seems pretty low-brow all the way around. But if there are no electrical outlets under the stage that’s probably the only option, or at least the only easy one.

However, if there’s an outlet under the stage that’s in a box surface-mounted to the structure, it would be easy to wire in an electrical BX cable to a standard light switch that would be located to the side of the stage.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club #133
    Fretless Club #943
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly
    My Basses

Geri O, ASQTec and s0c9 like this.
  6. bassnat

bassnat

Jan 31, 2011
    Thank You!

7. bassnat

bassnat

Jan 31, 2011
    Thank you!

8. bassnat

bassnat

Jan 31, 2011
    Thank you!

9. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    ^^^^ This Right Chere...^^^^^^^^

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021