Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Practice Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Din, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Din

Din

Mar 28, 2004
    Newcastle, England
    I am planning on buying a new bass amp for practicing in my room. I currently have a crappy 10 watt amp and I want a new one. So what do you people recommend? What watt is best?

I was thinking of getting a Hartke 35 watt amp but I'm not sure if I want to pay £189. I am prepared to pay it but I am just wondering if there are any other good quality amps that I should consider before parting with my hard earned cash!

Thanks.

2. Try the Behringer BX600, heard good things about it. Better than the Hartke

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    maybe look into a ibanez sw65? or sw35

4. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I second the SW35, great little practice amp with good tone and handled the low B well.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Welcome to the forum!

Just a thought, but I am a huge fan of Ashdown amps, and have noticed that the newest incarnation of the Electric Blue amps is available from Nevada music in the UK pretty cheap.

http://search.lycos.co.uk/searchFra...ITE=uk&cat=loc&matchmode=and&lang=any&idx=all

If you can go a bit extra on your £189 budget, this would be well worth the investment IMHO!

I myself have on of the earlier Electric Blue 130 amps (15" speaker) and paid much more than that for it!

Happy hunting!

6. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    I have to agree. The Cubes are insane. They have great sound and make a lot of noise for it's size.

I personally have had a 30 watt Hartke with a basic 3 knob EQ, passive and active jack. I've had it for years now. It's honestly not bad. Hartke isn't on the top of my list when it comes to amps as I got more mature as a player, but for what I paid, it wasn't a bad deal. Actually.... I can't remember what I paid. Actually.... I think I might have gotten ripped off...

Is that why I don't go to that store anymore.... <shrug>

Yep, so make that 2 votes for the Roland cube.

7. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I don't know the current Cubes. I played with one of the older incarnation and it was good. I doubt they have gone downhill.

I just had to make my traditional statement to anyone looking for a small amp: Gallien-Krueger MB150!

They go fairly cheap used. They have a good sound. They are wonderful. What are you waiting for? pant pant pant Okay I'm better now.

I have seen them go for about $200 used.(That was a steal. They are usually higher but still reasonable.) I bought mine to be a practice amp, to play at home by myself, or while composing with the guitarist and keyboardist of my old band. I have ended up taking it out to recording sessions, low volume gigs, party jam sessions, several playing environments where my large rig didn't look like a good idea to me. I can get several good useful sounds out of it. And it sounds even better if I patch in an extension cabinet.

Basically it starts as a practice amp and can grow from there. Get one. I just had to say it.

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I just picked up a Behringer BX300 for $200 (Australian, roughly 82 quid) new and not "on sale". Bought it to use a practice amp, and to accompany a friend who sings and plays an acoustic geetar, unamplified. Plenty of volume, nice tone, looks well made and is easy enough to carry in one hand with a bass in the other.

For the money, it's a huge steal.

9. Din

Din

Mar 28, 2004
    Newcastle, England
    Thanks everyone!! :)

I am actually thinking about getting an Ibanez SW65 or SW35. I will probably go with the SW35 (£150) as it is only for use in my room.

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    If you're that limited on cash, I'm in favor of the Ashdown practice amp series. But, if you can save up around $300 US, you can probably get an Ampeg BA115 on EBay...

11. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i've been using a GK backline 12. i got it scratch and dent for pretty cheap. not the best amp but pretty good for your room.

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Yep, I have a MB150 and it is very good. It's 100w so you can use it for small jams like Bard says. It's got a real clean transparent sound. VERY sweet for fretless I would add. They're a bit expensive new, but I got it on a trade (pretty good deal...around $350 US).

13. Din

Din

Mar 28, 2004
    Newcastle, England
    It's not that I'm limited on cash it's just that I don't want to spend a loads of money on a practice amp.

14. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I know what you mean, I like my BA115. As I demo'd practice amps, I just didn't like many of the smaller practice amps.

15. I've got the Hartke B30, the one with the 10" speaker. It's OK to practice with but not very versatile. It's fine with someone else playing an acoustic guitar in your living room but not much more. No way will it hold up to drums or any electric guitars. I had to borrow another amp to play with an acoustic bluegrass trio at a Borders.

16. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada

I completely agree! I just picked up a Cube 30, and it is by far the best sounding practice amp I have played. You could easily use it for small Jazz gigs too.

17. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I shall be buying an Fender rumble 100 this summer.

18. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    I know this sounds weird, but..

I tried my little brother's 15W Fender Frontman GUITAR amp, it actually has quite the nice sound, and keeps up at least at a smaller volume (never tried louder) with low B,.

19. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Careful w/ that guitar amp,, you'll end up ruining the speaker if you do turn it up.

20. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    Fortunately I'm not THAT much of a bassist... :D