1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Practice Motivation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jacobcurry1, Sep 30, 2013.

1. jacobcurry1

jacobcurry1

Dec 11, 2010
    Good morning talkbass world. I have been playing on and off for about seven years but very seriously for the last three. During the last three years I have played for a Church band and a youth band from the same Church. Lots of Hillsong United, Desperation Band, Chris Tomlin, modern CCM stuff. I have always practiced consistently but during the last six months I have had very little motivation to do so. I still loved playing live but I just couldn't seem to enjoy practicing on my own. I would sit down to practice every night like always but I honestly began to dread it and I wasn't getting better (although I wasn't getting worse).

So finally about two months ago I decided to switch things up. I went to our Church's sanctuary and played by myself for about four hours, during which I completely changed my tone. I went from a very creamy, warm, tubey kind of tone to a much more bright, punchy tone. Since then I have stopped relying on pedals and effects for my tone and have stripped down to just my bass, a fuzz pedal(used rarely) and tuner pedal going straight into my amp.

I absolutely LOVE my new tone. It fits the music we do but also I find that I have trouble NOT practicing. When I pick up my bass I am almost taken to another place. I can sit down and play for hours without thinking or worrying about anything else and not have any of the motivation problems like before. Its almost like I am "in the zone".

So for me my tone was preventing me from enjoying practicing and I didn't even realize it. Now I am consistently enjoying practicing and getting better. So what is it that motivates you to practice? Have any of you ever went through a period where you didn't have motivation to practice? How did you work through that period of time?

2. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    That's quite normal. Changing things up is a way of evolving and creating a new environment for yourself so that things aren't boring. Practicing in the same manner all the time or having the same sound can become uninspiring after awhile.

3. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I play best when I'm loving my tone. But as far as motivation for practicing: I just keep in mind that every minute I'm not practicing, someone else is.

4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    My motivation for practicing has always been not wanting to let my band mates down by sucking when we play together. I've had times when I just couldn't get in enough practice and did suck when we got together and it always made me feel like hammered slug $&!+.