Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

practice space,,where?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by steve-o, Oct 3, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    my band lost its space...and my parents don't mind it everyonce and awhile..but we practice everynight that we don't have a show....

where do yo uguys practice..and how did you get it?

thanks
    steve

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The drummer's house is usually the safest bet.

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    nope..can't
    tried and tried

steve

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    yeah i've had the same problem... we just play it by ear.. I used to practice in the music conservatory here at school... but the folks over in the music department didn't like that idea much... and theres something Illegal about it... that you can't be a group that makes money in order to practice there...

5. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    So you guys play every single night, wow! I wish we were that dedicated.

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    lol..yeah..we try...maybe 5 times to 6 a week..then a show or two on the weekend...

its crazy

steve

7. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    If you are looking to rent a place, I found the best way to go is to find either a storage space or go to an industrial section of town where there are a bunch of warehouses. My rehearsal space is in a row of warehouses and the person to the right of me is an appliance repair man and the business on my left is a tree service(so they are never there) and the rest of the complex is mostly auto repair places. None of these people mind the music because they make as much noise as I do. Also, it wasn't anymore expensive than renting a space at one of these places that has 20 rooms to rent out to bands.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If the above is not available, a (rental?)house near a heavy traffic or commercial area, or "non-conforming" residential home of some sort, where it's isolated, and you can behave like a band there at any volume, and hour you want.

When we rented band houses in quiet Ann Arbor, MI, we always looked for the worst locations because: 1) Rent was usually less and, 2) Few if any restrictions on our rehearsal schedule.