Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Worshiper, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I was just wondering what you all do to practice, that is with out the rest of teh band. I just do scales and fingering excersizes at varying speeds. Technique, dexterity, and speed work.
  2. jamesr

Feb 23, 2005
    I usually do the following:

-Warm up going through the major and minor scales up the whole neck.

-Then the major and minor arpeggios up the neck.

-Then I play a couple of songs along with the cd.

-Then spend the rest of the time Tabbing out songs By ear. I usually have a list of songs To tab.

-If I have a little extra time, I hum a little line, then try and play it on the bass.

Here is my cheat sheet, it covers a lot of things i practice.
  3. this should be in the Technique forum -
  4. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    For theory I mainly read it over and over again to pound it into memory (Gotta love Adult ADD)

For physical practicing I usually focus on right and left hand tech's. (Still cant seem to funk up my slap playing enough and my double thumbing is attrocious, but my tapping and harmonics are pretty decent!)

Most of my practicing though is focused around song writing and expression on bass. I tend to write beter on bass anyways, and I hate repeating myself on an instrument.
  5. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I warm up with scales and arpegios. I try and read charts for about 20 minutes. Play along with randomly selected CD's and then work on playing chords all over the neck.
  6. ...or General Instruction
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

8. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I start by playing every mode of the major scale two octaves, starting on G, then G#, A, A#, and B. Sometimes I play the melodic minor modes instead.

I then play all the diatonic arpeggios in C, alternating ascending and descending, so that you end C major on B, and start D minor on C, and so on. At the top, I just go backward.

From there, depending on what I feel like, I will do some reading exercises (been doing a lot more of that lately, what with the school musical coming up), walking or soloing to jazz tunes using Band in a Box, or work on my funk tunes.
  9. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ