Pray for me...I just bought a SVT II blind!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by William Veeder, Sep 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. William Veeder

William Veeder

May 15, 2017
    Got a great deal on a SVT II from GC...what I hope is an early 1990's or so. It's got the outline ampeg logo not the solid one and no shield on the tubes in the back. No ideas what tubes in it...wondering about ideas of what 655os or KT 88's people like here? It'll be December before I can afford a retube...and yes I'm not sure it needs it yet. It got shipped to a Guitar center in MI...I'm in NM...and so I wait. I play rock and I really want a 300 watt B15!
    Will in NM

Raulplaysbass likes this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I'm using the stock JJ 6550's in my Heritage SVT's and they've been fine.

BTW, full retubes are a huge waste of money. If you have a tube-related problem with your amp, it's almost always just one tube.

saabfender and pht2356 like this.
  3. William Veeder

William Veeder

May 15, 2017
    Ok...so far so good. I have yet to really let her go as she's way to loud for home but she comes with the JJ6550's. Sounds wonderful! I think from what I can find this is a 1992 SVT II non pro. Pics to come!

JimmyM likes this.
  4. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Did it come from the canton store? If so, i played it a few weeks ago. If thats is it, i spent about an hr with it. Definitely worth the $ they asked. I plug into an ampeg 410, sounded good though i generally felt it seems "weak" for some reason. I believe it was a 4 ohm cab too. I didnt notice any obvious issues with it, maybe the tubes are just old. The morons there nearly fried it, turned it on without plugging speaker in. I quickly unplugged it. The sales guy was a jackass otherwise i probably would have got it i think your good to go, assuming it survives shipping. Its a late 80s version, same as 1 i have a few years ago

saabfender likes this.
  5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    If everything is working properly, leave it alone.

BassmanPaul, RSBBass, Wasnex and 3 others like this.
  6. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    This is the good advice you listen to so you don't have to seek advice on how to fix a mysterious problem that occurred after an unnecessary repair.

7. William Veeder

William Veeder

May 15, 2017
    Indeed. It seems fine. Getting used to how to EQ this amp as it is quite different than ma Markbass. But all seems good so far. SVT's always sound better to me in the 20180920_162034.jpg mix than stand alone.

8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    If the OP is handy with a meter, it wouldn't hurt to check the bias....other than that, I agree; leave it alone!

saabfender and William Veeder like this.
  9. William Veeder

William Veeder

May 15, 2017
    Think it might be. They sent it to some other store near grand rapids for no reason then all the way out here to Albuquerque. Seems to have a lot of high end for me...but I'm just getting to know it.

10. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Are you using the bright input by chance?

11. William Veeder

William Veeder

May 15, 2017
    Could have been. I'll have it with the band tomorrow. Also, I'm the guy who doesn't plan to buy an amp so he changes the strings on his two basses and then gets and amp. So everything sounds odd at the moment.

Al Kraft, Wasnex and agedhorse like this.
  12. pht2356

pht2356

Apr 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Jimmym was correct when he diagnosed my svt from 3k miles away.

JimmyM and Al Kraft like this.
  13. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.

I center the tone knobs of my SVT-II non-pro like yours, and hardly ever use the eq.

I hear ya about new strings sounding odd, especially when I'm playing one of my SVT's. Give-em a chance to break in.

What cabs are you using?
    I don't typically dig cabs w/tweeters with my SVT's, especially with new strings...

It's probably gonna have way more prominent low-mids than your markbass, so don't be surprised if your band mates say your playing too loud.

14. William Veeder

William Veeder

May 15, 2017
    anderbass,
    I have 2 4X10 SWR goliath II's that are older. I'll try to turn to tweeters off, I hate them anyway. Everyones syas it but I'll say it too this is a really loud amp! I'll try more tonight at band practice! I've had one amp for so long it always seems hard to break another in.

15. William Veeder

William Veeder

May 15, 2017
    So...the SVT had four JJ's and 2 Groove tube 6650s. All look fine. Replaced 2 12AU7's that seemed super old but also becasue I've had 2 12AU7's sitting around. Turned all the damn horns off and that helped.Ill check bias on Sunday at a buddies house. Over all a cool amp just getting used to it...and those damn new strings!

16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    FYI, the 12AU7s control the bias. To be safe, I recommend you leave the amp off until you have a screw driver and meter handy.

17. Pray for me...I just bought a SVT II blind!

Soap poisoning is a real thing.
    You really want to avoid Lifebuoy.

18. Congrats on an awesome amp! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I'm far from an expert on this, but afaik it's best to have matching power tubes, or at least matching enough that they bias correctly. @anderbass @coreyfyfe et al will steer you right.

If your cabs are 4ohm each, you can always use just one of em, which would allow you to push the amp harder, for less overall volume. I do this with my Fender Super Bassman . I often run it into just one 115 cab, which will allow me to get some power tube drive at far less a volume than if im running it into 2x15s or an 810 for example

19. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    You can also get a serial cable and run both cabs at 8 ohms. Move more air and turn up the amp!

rodl2005 likes this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Well this might help you...if you want to find flat response, I found pretty close to it with bass 11:00, treble 2:00, and mids 3:00 at 800 hz in most SVT's. Of course, I don't run them that way since I like a little less treble and a little more bass, but I thought that might be of some help.